Walking in Wiltshire?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brewers Whoop

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2008
Somerset
Anyone out there familiar with walking in Wiltshire?

My missus and I fancy a walk somewhere high up on the downs, if possible following or close to routes trodden long ago by people for whom bushcraft was the means of staying alive, not a chosen pastime.

5-10 miles-ish, with views nearly to the southern hemisphere and a decent pub nearby, would be brilliant.

Any suggestions or recommendations please folks?

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I have a book on Wiltshire walks, unfortunatly i cant get to it untill monday. If thats not too late i will have a look for you.

Cheers
Louis

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Obvious choice is the Ridgeway. Start at Avebury to get a feel for those long ago people then walk up the Herepath (the Way of the Armies) out of the village to the East up onto the Downs. In front of you over the fence will be Fyfield Nature Conservancy area where you could wander looking for rare flora and Fauna and sarsen stones (Grey Wethers) that had been used as sharpening stones for flint axes. You could make your way down to the A4 and vist West kennet Long barrow before returning via Silbury Hill to Avebury with a walk along the avenue of stones.

Or turn left when you get up onto the Downs from Avebury and walk as far as you like on the most ancient highway. sadly off-road vehicles have chewed up a lot of the fabulously springy turf but the walk is worth doing.

Or walk along the Wansdyke from near Calne.

Or, park in layby on A4 at Cherhill and walk up onto Downs to Oldbury Castle, Cherhill White Horse. wonderful views from top and you can walk over the back along the tops of beautiful dry valleys perhaps even to the Wansdyke . Black Horse pub is good and has memories of the black Horse Gang who would strip naked to do their robberies. And, Black Horse pubs just might be associated with King Arthur.

Then there are the Downs overlooking the Vale of Pewsey etc. makes me a bit nostalgic for Wiltshire. My favourite spot was in a ditch of Oldbury Castle overlooking the A4 with Windmill Hill in the distance. Late afternoon in Summer with the long shadows stretching across the Downs and the wind rippling the ripening wheat in the fields below was magical. Camping there was even better.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
I recommend the Ridgeway between Stanton St. Bernard and Avebury which crosses the Wandsdyke
and takes in some of the best views in Wiltshire at some of the highest points, distance less than 10 miles.
End the walk in the Red Lion in Avebury and look out for the well in one of the rooms!

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I recommend this one, starts and ends at a pub with food. White horse, ridge and woods:

Lockeridgewalk.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE