Volunteering

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
What is the best way to go about helping with a youth organisation? I have been in cubs, scouts and sea scouts, I did D of E at school and helped run an open centre for a big company I worked for but I have now moved and don't have any contacts in groups around here. I don't want to look like a weirdo but turning up at a new group unannounced.

I have other useful experience as well and I have some time to spare so I would like to help.

Any comments or ideas guys?

Bill

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Hi tenbears10

A similar question was raised before so there might be some info there for being involved in scouting.

http://www.bushcraftuk.net/community/showthread.php?t=2278

Any organisation that relise on volunteers will all ways be open to new comers weather it's scouting, a youth group or a football team they all need help at some level. There are rules do and you will probably have to go through a vetting process before you are able to really get stuck in but that should but you off.

Womble or one of the other guys/gals might have more info relating to the UK the rules here are a little less strict (which is good and bad) but there are tons of benefits.

Helping to teach a young person or an older person something new and enjoyable is wonderful experience and the feeling you have done something positive for your community is also good. It also never hurts a CV.

James

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
The Scoutbase link in the thread James links to is a good start if you wish to get involved in Scouting. It's also just occured to me that your local council may have a list of contacts for youth organisations in their area.

The Scout association runs police checks on all adults who wish to get involved (including - officially - parents if they want to go with their kids on a Scout camp), and also has a rule (or did when I did my training) that barred anyone who had been declaerd Bankrupt.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE