Very odd way of starting a fire !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I have seen some fantastic things and been flung across a room by a man who barely or maybe didn't touch me (i didn't feel it and the distance was really to big) I did show physical signs of connection , apparently that was chi energy

That was suggestibility and the will to want.

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
Its these types of discussion that should really be done in E prime

Or should I say :

Discussions that appear to be held about topics such as these seem to be more productive when using what i know as E prime.

Not a master of it but im sure you get what i mean :)

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
Lol, quite funny but just poor magic. Some people will believe anything.

I wonder how many of you have a ball of newpaper in your hands tonight trying to light it on fire.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Would you like to buy some magic beans?

Why is it that when Paul Daniels does some sleight of hand people can understand its just that but when some yogurt weaver does it people are willing to put their brain in neutral and accept it as a "Chi energy".
Yeah right :rolleyes:

Before someone says that I should prove them wrong its worth remembering that its pretty much impossible to prove a negative, its possible to prove a positive though.

Beyond reasonable doubt goes a long way as well ;)

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Brendan said:
This is the outline of my version, where anything is possible, no false limits exist and everyone on Earth has infinite potential, all equal, all connected.
Go sit in the woods for a month or so and this becomes a lot clearer.

Consider someone who's taken a mind altering chemical and really believes they can fly. Should you ideas be correct ( in their entirety ) then surely at least one of them would have managed it.
Instead we have some dead and some who, luckily, survived their falls to tell us about it. This heavily suggests, to me, that ( even if accepted in principle ) your ideas need to be modified to something like "within certain parameters many unusual things are possible", as opposed to "anythings is possible".

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Must be my personality. Whilst I could have been putting this video to one side as pure theatre instead I was ruminating on how the phenomenon in the video could genuinely be produced. The personal electricity thing for a start. The film proposes that he generates an electric dipole at his waist. The problem with that is the human body is far too good a conductor to make that possible. You would have the same electric potential in all your hands and feet (except for tiny residual effects like we might measure with an ECG.)

So, assume he is genuinely creating electric shocks then he would have the same potential all over. So then I would propose that he was wired to a Van De Graf generator with an intermittent connection.

The fire thing has to be pure fiction.

Reactions: TheGreenMan

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Hmm....you're going to turn out to be a weird one aren't you, wicked firestarer?

First homeopathy, now this :)

Should you have chosen the username 'troll' :D

Best regards,
Paul.

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
Wow beats rubbing two sticks together :lmao: .

Well yes easily faked, doesn't mean it was though. That is the trouble with chinese and other easton arts like this, they have a long tradition of mixing real skills and techniques with theater and tricks to make the real part ether seem more amazing or even make it more effective by suggestion. Many martial arts do this by contriving stuns that make you think there much stronger or tougher or have some magic power so that you have a mental disadvantage when you fight them. of cores some of them mite be real as well or have there roots in reality, you do have to keep an open mind unless you actually see how it couldn't be faked or see the slight of hand or misdirection yourself. I must say I've never experienced a chea master myself, so if I did I mite be able to make up my mine one way or the other.

But anyhow it's a good party trick ;) .

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
How did we get from parlour trick "magic" to quantum theory :confused:

To me the simplest explanation is usually the best so either that "chi" energy chap utilised previously untapped quantum energies or he has just tried to pull the wool over our eyes with sleight of hand and trickery.

Errrrrrr, I'm gonna have to think on this one for a minute....

Can I phone a friend?

Ask yourself, do you think that the shortarsed magic man Paul Daniels do something like that?
I reckon he could work it out.

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
" Hmm....you're going to turn out to be a weird one aren't you, wicked firestarer?

First homeopathy, now this

Should you have chosen the username 'troll' "

Green Man- isn't that a pagan deity? ;)

I don't really have a problem with the chi fire starting thing, maybe it is real, maybe it is just baloney. I think personal experience counts for a lot and if on life's path one experiences something which doesn't fit with the reductionist view it doesn't make it any less real. Right I'm off to weave me some yoghurt
:240:

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
twisted firestarter said:
"...Green Man- isn't that a pagan deity? ;)...:

...It sure is! But I just wear a lot of geen clothing :)

twisted firestarter said:
"...It ... Right I'm off to weave me some yoghurt
:240:/

Well, I'm off to weave me some rabbit stew :) (really!)

:grouphug: (really),
Paul.

PS: I'm only joking when I'm serious, and serious when I'm joking :)...Peace (reallly, trulely...serious).

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Simple Chemical Equations

Nitrogen triiodide NI3 (exploding purple paste) has a reaction from 2NI3 → N2 + 3I2, ok there was no bang or smoke, but paint some onto an object let it dry, and a slight knock or tap will make it go bang almost "Magically"

or

KMnO4 + C12-H22-O11 add a drop of H2O and with in ten or so seconds you have fire.

Crystalline disaccharide (sugar) C12-H22-O11
Potassium Permanganate = KMnO4
Water=H20
Add some of mix of first compound to the paper and the sweat from your hands would add enough water to make the compound burst in to flames, in about ten seconds.
Or add a tissue to the bundle of news paper, (not hard to do, it’s just a simple slight of hand), and sweat will do the rest.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Tadpole said:
Simple Chemical Equations

Nitrogen triiodide NI3 (exploding purple paste) has a reaction from 2NI3 → N2 + 3I2, ok there was no bang or smoke, but paint some onto an object let it dry, and a slight knock or tap will make it go bang almost "Magically"

or

KMnO4 + C12-H22-O11 add a drop of H2O and with in ten or so seconds you have fire.

Water=H20
Add some of mix of first compound to the paper and the sweat from your hands would add enough water to make the compound burst in to flames, in about ten seconds.
Or add a tissue to the bundle of news paper, (not hard to do, it’s just a simple slight of hand), and sweat will do the rest.

Stirling work, Tadpole (it's given me much to think about)! Thank you :)

Best regards,
Paul.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
what a well researched and argued thread!
I was completely indifferent and didn't even watch the video,but I enjoyed reading it.
East is East..... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :nutkick:

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
There are many ways he could have done it chemically, the simplest solution is usually right one and as mentioned before he was smoking a cigarette.

I am surprised no one has mentioned the force. Surly that could be used to start fires?

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
Nitrogen triiodide NI3 (exploding purple paste) has a reaction from 2NI3 ? N2 + 3I2, ok there was no bang or smoke, but paint some onto an object let it dry, and a slight knock or tap will make it go bang almost "Magically"

or

Water=H20

Thanks for the explanation Tadpole. Do you know if those chemicals are synthetic or can they be derived from nature? you can probably guess where I'm going with this :rolleyes: If they do occur in nature then could they not be gathered and used to fire start?

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
I may have taken this thread off topic by talking about quantum physics and a Holographic reality in regards to the original video of a guy probably performing a simple conjuring trick but for anyone interested in where I was coming from take a look at this Video .
It's just under 2hrs long but pretty interesting IMHO.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE