Ventile smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Friend Admiring my Blacks and wants to get one for son to wear in NZ.

Cant find it online; what company makes them? Country innovations has closed.

Reactions: rowen

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I’ve had a Keela for years and years, 2010 I got it. It’s pricy stuff, Ventile, but Keela have been great. I sent it off to have the cuffs repaired and some restitching on the pockets and they hardly charged me anything. Still in use, hanging on the back of my chair as I’m typing this.

Last edited:

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I’ve had a Keela for years and years, 2010 I got it. It’s pricy stuff, Ventile, but Keela have been great. I sent it off to have the cuffs repaired and some restitching on the pockets and they hardly charged me anything. Still in use, hanging on the back of my chair as I’m typing this.

My Keela smock has worn the cuffs really could do with leather on them, wouldn't send it back to Keela, I am sure a local tailor can fix the cuffs. Why they don't put leather on from the get go I don't know.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
My Keela smock has worn the cuffs really could do with leather on them, wouldn't send it back to Keela, I am sure a local tailor can fix the cuffs. Why they don't put leather on from the get go I don't know.
Easy job for a tailor. Keela put leather on them, rather than replace with Ventile.

Tengu isn’t asking how to best repair, she’s asking for jacket options like her Blacks. I’m not familiar with the Blacks but know Country Innovations closed.

Last edited:

H2497

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2008
London / Herefordshire
I don't know what the Blacks Jacket looks like but I have a Ventile from Redkettle and it's great. I am a huge fan.
Same. Unfortunately it seems like they're not going to produce anymore of them. I have the lightweight one and have used it in the Autumn. Missed out on the double layer version.

There's also the St Kilda from weather-wise gear, which looks like it's modelled on a windproof smock. Has anyone tried one of those?

Last edited:

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Same. Unfortunately it seems like they're not going to produce anymore of them. I have the lightweight one and have used it in the Autumn. Missed out on the double layer version.

There's also the St Kilda from weather-wise gear, which looks like it's modelled on a windproof smock. Has anyone tried one of those?
Thats a shame, I have the hooded version, I was hoping to pick up the lightweight one too.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
There's a few options out there. Hilltrek (as mentioned) have a number of good models in single and double layers. Tilak has the Odin. Haar has one too. There is quite a lot of ventile used in more fashionable options which are well made and modelled on standard smocks, available used (Snow Peak, Ralph Lauren, Private White etc.) There is a blue, Czech military one on ebay now and then.

In a different way, the SAS gaberdine smock is a serious option and can be got very affordably. There was a flat olive version of it. I have never seen one, but would grab it immediately if I did :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE