Vacuum packing on the go?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 28, 2011
Chelmsford, Essex
Hey.

is anyone aware of any mobile vacuum pumps/ways to compress sleeping bags. after spending ages trying to compact my sleeping bag with compression straps etc and not nearly half getting it down to it's original manufactured size I'd be interested in some time saving solutions :D

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Time saving or space saving? There are pumps that fit into the neck of a wine bottle which extract (some of) the air to help preserve the wine. They're small but I don't know what sort of a vacuum they do.

I'd probably think about a pair of cup-shaped objects (no, don't go there) with a bit of shock cord. If you have many rounds of tight shock cord you can exert enormous forces.

Or you could get a bigger pack. :)

Man-made fibre fills are undeniably bulkier than down for the same insulation value. I know that to my cost because I'm allergic to feather and down. :(

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I would go with the bigger pack option!
Repeatedly super compressing your bag could prmaturely age it by breaking down the insulation and reducing its lofting ability...this is why you should store sleeping bags loosely packed as well.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
I do my trips by canoe and as such have a pump for blowing up the flotation bags and also use this to extract air from ebay bought vacuum bags (the kind designed to be used with hoovers*). My spare clothes and sleeping bag go into these bags and pack down very small. I don't think the weight of the pump against space saved would work when walking though.
Alan

*other carpet cleaners work too!

Last edited:

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Last edited:

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I use a 50 ltr Mountain Equipment dry bag with airvalve. Already used it as a sitting mat, pillow, dry bag (in my backpack, though it can also take my backpack itself). Has eyelets so can be transformed in a small pack. Can be used as floatation aid or a tiny improvised sleeping mat (body torso). Takes my 3 season Ajungilak Kompakt easily, and gives about 25-30% of extra compression compared with the regular stuff bag it came with.

wedgie

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2008
gods own county of yorkshire
sea to Summit eVENT Compression Dry Sack
Squash your gear down to one third and keep it dry! eVENTR fabric is totally waterproof and breathable allowing you to compress the air out and not allowing water in.
Product Description
Squash your gear down to 1/3rd and keep it dry! eVENT® fabric is totally waterproof and really actually breathable (you can feel the air coming out!) allowing you to squish the air out and keep water out. Specifications: Extra Small 15 x 35cm / 16 x 14/ 6/2 LitreSmall 18 x 40cm / 7 x 16 / 3.3 LitreMedium 20 x 46cm / 8 x 18 / 4.5 LitreLarge 23 x 50cm / 9 x 20 / 6.7 LitreXL 27 x 58cm / 10.5 x 23 / 10 Litre Features: Air compresses out, water cannot get in Watertight Hypalon® roll top closure Waterproof seams, tape sealed and double stitched

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sea-Summit-...Q5A0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308855863&sr=8-1

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE