Us Modular Sleeping System

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I just indulged myself for Christmas and bought a US Modular Sleeping System from E-bay. I bought it from a lad from Devon for 2p short of £60. It arrived today and the first thoughts are that it's a pretty hefty piece of kit not only bulky but heavy. The accompanying compression does go to some way of reducing the bulk but bear in mind that the whole package also includes a goretex bivvy bag so no need for tent or seperate bivvy bag. The spiel accompanying the sale was as follows

BRAND NEW STILL IN BAG,WITH ALL TAGS.GENUINE ISSUE U.S. ARMY MODULAR SLEEPING BAG SYSTEM. MADE BY TENNIER INDUSTRIES ,JUNE 2005.

1X WOODLAND GORE-TEX BIVVY BAG.

1X BLACK INTERMEDIATE COLD ,SLEEPING BAG.

1X GREEN PATROL,SLEEPING BAG

1X COMPRESSION SACK.

CONFIGURATION....

OUTER GREEN PATROL BAG IS DESIGNED TO BE USED IN TEMP DOWN TO 30 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT(-1 deg celsius). INNER BLACK BAG IS DESIGNED TO BE USED IN TEMP FROM 30 TO MINUS 10 DEGREES(-23 deg celsius). JOIN BOTH BAGS TOGETHER BY PLACING BLACK BAG INSIDE GREEN BAG AND SNAPPING ALL BLACK BAG SNAPS TO GREEN BAG SNAPS ALONG EACH SIDE OF THE ZIPPERS.INSURE HOODS ARE WELL OPEN.TUCK HOODS INSIDE EACH OTHER.THIS CONFIGURATION IS DESIGNED FOR TEMPERATURES FROM MINUS 10 TO MINUS 50 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT(-55 deg Celsius). FOR ADDED PROTECTION FROM WIND AND RAIN OR WET SNOW,A BIVVY COVER MAY BE ATTACHED TO THE OUTSIDE OF THE SLEEPING BAG.THE TWO SLEEPING BAGS AND BIVVY ALL HAVE TWO WAY ZIPPERS.

I tried it today but only in the living room and I'm somewhat wary of the temps to be honest. It's made out of pretty bombproof material so I'm pretty confident about it's construction. One concern is that all the popper buttons connect all the way from the outer bivvy bag to the inner bag and I expect them to transmit the cold nicely. Some may find it a little claustrophobic but that's the nature of the beast with bivvy bags, although I have a plan to combat that. The bivvy bag is sealed over with a single patch of velcro so theres no danger of suffocating. In the interest of adding to the website I'll take it out and try it in the coming month. I'd be out in the next few days to be honest but I'm on call at the minute and need to be in mobile phone range. I've just moved up here so I don't know any good sites.

The pictures are from the e-bay sales pitch

Attachments

• bags.jpg
    bags.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 398
  • black bag.jpg
    black bag.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 394
  • green bag.jpg
    green bag.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 390
  • bivvy bag.jpg
    bivvy bag.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 396
  • compression.jpg
    compression.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 419

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
For less than £60 that has got to be well worth a good try out :cool:
My mat alone was more than that.

It'll be interesting to hear how you get on with it too, I've got a son in need of something similar.

atb,
Toddy

shocks

Forager
Dec 1, 2007
Devon
I think the reviews on them are mixed. That being said £60 is a steal. I just bought a Wiggys Ftrrs set of bag which alot of US soldiers buy to replace this kit. If I had seen this for £60 I would have been tempted. I reckon it will be good for 90% of what you need and ok for the rest . Keep us posted.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You could maybe put some fabric patches over the poppers inside or even some little leather squares.

Got yourself a bargain there though for £60

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You got a bargain there, and for once, this sleep system is cheaper in the UK than the USA:)

Not used one myself but I'm camping in January with a mate who has the system, I'll take a look and maybe take the plunge and buy one, me old bones feel the cold these days:(

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I'm heading down south for a week and plan on getting out on Dartmoor with my my new bag/sleeping system. Packed up my kit today ready for a day out and as previously mentioned it's a bulky piece of kit. The stuff sac/compression bag that forms part of the system has straps going around the bag and from top to bottom. I found that in order to make it as small as possible you need to tension the straps going around the bag before doing up the ones from top to bottom. This still left it bulky and as you can see it filled a 30L dry bag, it weighs in at a hefty 4.5 kg. I use a Rocketpak and it leaves room around the sides and top to put the rest of your kit. So the plan is to get it out on Dartmoor for a night and see how it pans out. Hope you all had a good Christmas I'll update you as soon as I can.

Attachments

• IMG_5150.JPG
    IMG_5150.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_5155.JPG
    IMG_5155.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 313

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
For 60£ you cant really be dissapointet. Great deal :)

I don't like 'em much tho. We use a similar system in DK, and i have the US system aswell.
It is the cheapest most bombproof system available, but it has some quite apparent flaws.

The way its connected for one, as you have allready noticed.

I find the temp range to be completely off, but i guess its just because i used to sleep in it whilst on maneuvers, wich means almost fully dressed, sweated like a pig during the day, wet clothes, boots still on and close to none sleep at all. Everything mentioned would indeed make one sleep coldly in them sacks.

And the sheer weight and size of it is easily explained: It isn't designed to be cariied around. Normally it would be in your pack, on a vehicle.

But again, for 60£ i might have bought one aswell, if i hadn't allready had one :eek:)

D

Deleted dude 7861

I've had one for a while now and I love it. Used it up in Knoydart and Cairngorms down to -15.C or so and kept me warm as toast. For £60 it's a steal so much so I bought a backup one! Doubt there's much else you can buy for that money as good.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I remember these selling for £200 a couple of years ago, be interested to hear how it performs

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
I have one from the local surplus store (a branch of Field Textiles) and I think it was about the same price. Only used in anger once (Autumn) and it seemed OK but then it wasn't terrifically cold. It does stay dry and warm (on a Belgian double thickness sleep mat!) and I was quite happy 'cos as said previously it's bombproof and can be thrown around happily in its compression sac (again complicated but bombproof)! There are other bags as good (I still like my issue bag and my MtnEqpt bag from Jed) but I liked the idea of being able to mix'n match the various parts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE