US modular sleeping system or Carinthia defence 4?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tonyge

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2012
Leeds
Hi guys, I'm considering getting one of above. Anyone have experience by using them or any advice?. Thank you :)

Zheng

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
A big factor will be how tall/wide you are. I was seriously looking at the USMSS but it's just not big enough for me ( 6'5'' & 48 chest ) and although they did do a long version of it , I could'nt find one anywhere, and finding new unissued here was very difficult. In searching about I came across the Carinthia and now have a Defence 4 and Tropen, both in the 200 size and they are fantastic bits of kit, individually and combined. I got the Tropen in sand colour just to be able to differentiate them when combined. I also have a flecktarn goretex bivi bag from Germany, modelled after the USMSS one but bigger, to complete the system. Having had a succession of disappointments of sleeping bags over the years I love these things! Some people don't like the fact that the Defence 4 has a small face opening, but this is great for when it's really cold and in warmer times I have simply pulled the whole hood back and under whatever I'm using for a pillow.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I didn't realise you could get sand coloured Tropens... that would save a lot of hassle in the hammock trying to work out which is which

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
I didn't realise you could get sand coloured Tropens... that would save a lot of hassle in the hammock trying to work out which is which

It does indeed!

DSCF0421.jpg

rg598

Native
I used the US MSS for many years. I still use the green (warm weather) bag from the system. It is heavy, and it is big. The winter bag is huge. The bivi works well, but weighs about 2 lb alone.

All these "system" designs look cool, but they do not perform nearly as well as other commercially available options for the same money. You are better off getting a good three season bag and a good winter bag. They will provide much better insulation for a lot less weight and volume.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I used the US MSS for many years. I still use the green (warm weather) bag from the system. It is heavy, and it is big.....

I think you may have a mis labelled bag. The green patrol bag (the warm weather bag) stuffs easily into a bag only about the size of a 2 pound coffe can and weighs about a pound or a pound and a half. That ain't very big or very heavy.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Check out Wiggy's sleeping bags

I have one of their bags (Ultima Thule) for snowholes and arctic trips and rate it highly. They come in 4 different sizes, have all sorts of over-bags and have 20% off at the moment.

The claims are outrageous, but so far, I cannot disagree. The quick release zip is a massive boon. Lifetime guarantee aswell :)

rg598

Native
I think you may have a mis labelled bag. The green patrol bag (the warm weather bag) stuffs easily into a bag only about the size of a 2 pound coffe can and weighs about a pound or a pound and a half. That ain't very big or very heavy.

I was talking about the full system. The patrol bag is a good size. That is why I still use it. The full system however is huge and very heavy.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I was talking about the full system. The patrol bag is a good size. That is why I still use it. The full system however is huge and very heavy.

Oh yes! The full system is very big and heavy! Around 11 pounds IIRC. But to be honest, I cain't imagine many circumstances requiring the full system. Extreme cold obviously, but for me I've never needed it yet.

Last edited:

rg598

Native
I've been surprised by how not warm the full system is. I have used it in temperatures around 0(F), -18(C), and have been cold in it. It is supposed to be rated to -30(F). I am very skeptical. :) It is not a bad system, it is just not nearly as good as what is commercially available right now. Keep in mind this was a system developed many years ago. I currently use a winter bag rated to 0(F) that is warmer than the full MSS and weighs about 2.5lb.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
They are heavy and bulky and I agree the rating is very optimistic. The bivi bag is awesome though and the bags on their own work well. I too have a seperate winter bag dedicated to cold and it's much lighter and smaller as it's down. The USMC is a lot of kit for the price, a summer and a spring/fall bag plus bivi for under £100 new. My wife loves the USMC cold bag when family camping so that's always a bonus.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
IIRC correctly the US sleep system is part of their ECWS ( Extreme Cold Weather System? ) programme, so the temperature ratings are designed A - to be in conjunction with the other elements of the ECWS clothing such as the Level 1 or 2 thermals, and B- the rating is for 4 hours sleep, being a combat assessment, not a comfort one.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
IIRC correctly the US sleep system is part of their ECWS ( Extreme Cold Weather System? ) programme, so the temperature ratings are designed A - to be in conjunction with the other elements of the ECWS clothing such as the Level 1 or 2 thermals, and B- the rating is for 4 hours sleep, being a combat assessment, not a comfort one.

Yup. Plus people's comfort levels vary massively, I sleep cold outdoors but hot indoors, I struggle to stay warm in the UK damp cold.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Sasquatch have you used the Canadian Artic system? If so, how does it compare? I occasionally see some on Canadian surplus sites.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Sasquatch have you used the Canadian Artic system? If so, how does it compare? I occasionally see some on Canadian surplus sites.

I did back in the 90's but it was old stock even then, probably changed loads since. It was old down arctic bags with liners that tied in. They were nice and warm but like all old arctic gear it was bulky and heavy for the most part. Carrying everything on framed rucksacks very similar to the Alice pack was far from pleasant as I was built like a racing snake back then...it seems the older I get the more comforts I require as well. I can no longer sleep on the floor without a roll mat and feel the cold a lot more thesedays. I make out like I'm an old man but I'm only 36! Just getting soft perhaps :vio::rolleyes:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
yeah I've got a similar problem. It seems like everything that was so comfortable back in my 20s is made so much smaller these days.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE