US members

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
For fear of being pounced upon and accused of all manner of things, can I make it perfectly clear that I don't have a problem with this, but why is there so many US bushcrafters on a UK bushcraft forum? Bushcraft is bushcraft, sure, and I love to see the pics and hear the stories, but it's just something I wasn't expecting.

ForestNH/VT

Sep 6, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
There is no equivalent site in the US that I am aware of. That is why I am here. Although I do not contribute much, I have learned a lot in the year or so I have been lurking. I would love it if a similar site were available in States, but so far all I have been able to find are "survival" sites (some good info but a different 'vibe'), and guru centered sites. My opinion FWIW.

Forest

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
I stumbled across this site by accident and thought "Bushcraft UK? There's no bush left in the UK." I read a few threads out of curiosity, and found that I enjoyed the different perspective on things, and that some of the posters seem like kindred spirits. Last but not least, it makes me realize how fortunate I am to live in a place with huge tracts of true wilderness, where I can hunt, fish, forage, cut wood, make fires, etc.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
For my part, I think the forums -- and the people here -- are just great. I'm lucky in that I get over to Britain several times a year, so I'm familiar with some of the places referred to, etc.

It *would* be nice to have a US equivalent for the purposes of sharing local resources (and US online resources) as well as sharing tips on places in the states. However, even if that was the case, I'd still come here.

Perhaps what we yanks should do is start a couple of US oriented threads to accomplish the goals above. And these might be valuable for the others on the site in the event they come to the US.

One other thing: on www.bladeforums,com the wilderness and survival forum is pretty good and the vibe issue, which can be a real problem on US sites, is fairly low there. It's not as collegial or as good as Bushcraft UK, but it's the best I've found in the US.

DarbyFett

Sep 30, 2008
Texas
One of the reasons I like it so much here, is there is more of a focus on natural materials. I know space age tarps and plastic clothing may be more effective, but I prefer wool and leather. And there seems to be a lot of like minded folk on this forum.

And I agree with the above posts. Some US outdoors forums are either Survival or New Age-y crap.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
Last but not least, it makes me realize how fortunate I am to live in a place with huge tracts of true wilderness, where I can hunt, fish, forage, cut wood, make fires, etc.

now you are just rubbing it in LOL. When i eventually get my **** over to the states that is exactly what i am goignt o do, i love the diversity of landscapes that you have from mountains to swamp to desert. You are truly lucky to have it, so take care of it.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I always thought that "bushcraft" was a topic that transcends borders. After all, Ray Mears jets off to every place on the planet.

As for US sites, what could be more bushcrafty than this? :)

For me, understanding the bushcraft part of BCUK is easy. Understanding the social dynamics is a whole nuther thing. :confused: :1244: ;)

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
For my pennies worth, i'm glad sites such as this attract Amercans, as well as members/viewers from other nations, it makes for a more interesting/richer site for the experience's and views they can contribute.

I've just come back from America, and we enjoyed a wonderful time, and were fortunate to meet a friendly and generous people.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh Paleoplanet is good :D :approve: some stunningly inspirational stuff made by folks there :cool:

The Americans are fun to talk with, they have an entirely different mindset when it comes to space than we do; we don't talk about it much but we really are islanders and it shows in the way our limited acerage is divided up and the issues raised by access..........well that and the weaponry bits (insert whistling smiley :) )

cheers,
Toddy

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
There is no equivalent site in the US that I am aware of. That is why I am here. Although I do not contribute much, I have learned a lot in the year or so I have been lurking. I would love it if a similar site were available in States, but so far all I have been able to find are "survival" sites (some good info but a different 'vibe'), and guru centered sites. My opinion FWIW.

Forest

There is, simply swap the UK bit from our URL for USA ;)
:approve:

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Hoodoo, Dogwood, Ahjno, thanks for the links.

If any of you UK bushcrafters make it to this part of the world, I'll give you a map to my favorite campsite, loan you a canoe and a tent, and send you off with some venison. You're likely to encounter turkeys/deer/moose/bear, and I can meet you there with some rifles and pistols for a basic firearms orientation and some fun target practice if I have a concurrent day off. In short, you have an open invitation to a bushcraft experience that simply isn't possible in Europe.

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
Well now that we've unearthed all those US bushcraft forums, can I ask that I'm not blamed if we lose any of our overseas members :rolleyes:

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
I
As for US sites, what could be more bushcrafty than this? :)

That sound you hear is me slapping my head -- of course PaleoPlanet! How could I forget that one? Good call Hoodoo -- it's an amazing resource for anyone interested in really neolithic bushcraft. Highly recommended.

Actually, America has loads of good neolithic sites too -- if people are interested, I can post some links.

And there's this: http://www.xsorbit4.com/users/buildabow/index.cgi which is the best bowyers forum that I'm aware of...

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The classic camp stove forum has a high number of American members and I've made many 'virtual friends' and met several in the real world. I've not met a more generous people in my life to be honest. Its common practise to help each other out with gear its hard for us or them to find, we often trade, buy/sell or just gift each other. I've had all sorts of stuff turn up some I'd asked for, other stuff for no real reason, things like 48 Twinkie bars and an Ecotat bivvy tent :)

Americans have a great history of outdoor camping and woodsmanship, many of the stovies I know practise what some here would call bushcraft, to them its just the way grand pop showed them how to camp and some great kit is made over there like the Duluth packs and Pendleton shirts

So a warm welcome to all the American/Canadian members :)

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Hey, where else can I go to ... stir up deep emotions ... with my unique view of the world around me?

I slid in here following a trail of discussions on traditional Flint and Steel fire starting. The rest of the stuff just seems like ... normal camping stuff to me. Altho, I still have a hard time understanding this "buy" concept when it comes to tools/clothing/gear. My first thoughts are about how I can make it for myself. Then where can I go to ... trade ... for it. And I seldom get down to that third option of "buying" it.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

p.s. Yes, I did vote this morning - while running into town to get parts to fix the hydraulic lines on my log splitter. And this greatly upsets my brother because I mostly cancel out his vote - and I don't let him forget it! He's one of those ... true believers who can't understand how anybody could think/believe differently from him and his friends.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
. Altho, I still have a hard time understanding this "buy" concept when it comes to tools/clothing/gear. My first thoughts are about how I can make it for myself. Then where can I go to ... trade ... for it. And I seldom get down to that third option of "buying" it.
l' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Some of us have a problem with that too:D :D :beerchug:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I slid in here following a trail of discussions on traditional Flint and Steel fire starting. The rest of the stuff just seems like ... normal camping stuff to me.

Mike you are so right. A lot of the American stove collectors I talk to camp a lot, sure they have the typical Coleman suitcase stove and Coleman lamps (and classic brass stoves), but also use tarps (not alway olive green), Baker tents, canvas tents, heat and cook on open fires when allowed, use wood burner stoves, home dried food, use a lot of traditional kit and camp in all sorts of weather four seasons of the year; they don't call themselves bushcrafters, just campers who like to use old stoves and have a good, often family orientated camp trip:)

I'm off to New Jersey next July and will meet a few for a camp, can't wait to get into the woods:cool:

As for this US member, I had a lot of visits onton the US Civil Ranger Site.

Some people were quick to disparage make assumptions without ever emailing me with comments or questions. So....I joined to participate in the discussion and try to reach a hand across the pond, get to know some folks over there with similar interests and such. Also would like to see some up in the appalachians one of these days, any welcome.

gs

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE