Uniform Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Hi All,

Here in Ireland with our new association we will in the next year our so get a new uniform. At present they are sending out questionnaires to all the leaders and scouts/venture to help indentify the key points that people would like to have changed or added to the new uniform.

For most people i have spoken to there is mixed fellings between a more active based uniform and a formal dress type uniform. In my opinion the scouts would be better served with just the activity based uniform and the leaders having both.

So if they were to change the uniform in your organization what would like to see changed, added or taken away?

This question open to anyone I am very interested in all your opinions.

James

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
My view is that the UK have the balance between practicality and formailty about right at the moment. The shirt is hardwearing, and there is a T-shirt option. On the other hand, since most activities are not carried out in uniform, an arguement could be made that the uniform should be formal in nature, and should look smart. However I really can't quite understand the UK scout associations fixation with having a uniform with a buttoned up shirt collar...

When we changed to the new uniform in the UK, it was quickly discovered that the activity trousers were a thoroughly useful piece of kit; hardwearing, practical,and comfortable. They are the standard trousers for Scouts/Explorers, and Leaders & Network also have the option of a formal pair - which isn't taken up very much in my District. One addition to the Activity trous might be zip-off legs to transform them into shorts; if it had those they would be perfect!

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
That does sound like a good balance Womble. My brother attended the Last jamboree in Thailand and the uniform they had was great blend.

They were supported by Craighopper so they had a Breathable Navy shirt and Navy convertible trousers. It really looked smart with a gray slouch hat and the jamboree necko. Yet my brother found it exceptionally functional as it was mostly worn while travelling and ceremonial events. Warm at night cool during the day and needing minimal care.

Our current uniform (former Catholic Scouts of Ireland) were a blue long sleave shirt, navy trouser, black shoes, troop necko and reginal lanyard and whistle. There is also a Barret in UN Blue which is not really worn much now put I like it as suites me.

I can see why they would favour a shirt as it is more versatile and smarter looking then a pullover or fleece and as is the case with other old association (Scouts Association Ireland) the jumper was worn and when badges and like are added it starts in my opinion to look ragged and weighted.

I feel they are best used as a top lair or part of winter uniform maybe.

Your Thoughts

James

TAZ

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2004
Farnborough, Hampshire
the uniform shirt in the UK benifits best when you "loose" the top button and rely on your knecker to keep the neck together.
Ideally it would be nice to have all our gear from craghopper so that we could have technical ability in the uniform, but then the costs go up..
In general the balance is right.
It is surprising how many people don't notice when you wear zip-offs to an evening.

mercury

Forager
Jan 27, 2004
East Yorkshire England
Well I'm not in the Scouts , was once mind you, anyway - I wish the Army would get rid of these flipping manky green t shirts that soak up water better than a sponge and replace them with a nice green coolmax type t

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Ya mercury I no what you mean we used the same ones in the FCA (our TA) when I was Lad but that was a long time ago. They along with the regulars have had a uniform change recently so what they were now I'm not sure.

JAK. The expense is certainly a big facture as it is the Scouts after all. But as it is a leaders uniform from top to bottom will make a big dent in 100euro which is about 70GBP and the kids grow up so that just makes things worse. Balance has to be found which always means compramises. We currently use a hand me down system in our troop but obviously this will not be possible for while with a new uniform.

Do you guys have different uniform for cubs, scouts, explores and leaders etc. or are they all the same.

James

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Beavers (7-8): Skyblue Swaetshirts and jogging bottoms

Cubs (8-10): Dark green sweatshirt (used to be pullover) and grey Trous/shorts

Scouts (10-14): "Teal" green shirt, dark blue activity trousers

Explorers (14-18): "tan" shirt, dark blue activity trousers or dark blue formal trousers

Network(18-25)/Leaders: Light fawn shirt, dark blue activity trousers or dark blue formal trousers

Beavers, Cubs, Scouts & leaders wear their Group Neckerchief, Explorers (at least in Taz and My District) wear a district Necker (Taz as an explorer Leader & should be able to say if this is the official national position), and I don't know what the position with Network is.

TAZ

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2004
Farnborough, Hampshire
In reply to womble the official line is that Explorers can decide whether to have either kneckers or ties, The same is for network but the strange thing is that although they are county based, each unit can wear a different colour knecker, or they can go for the tie option.

Taz

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Hi Guys,

Here is a link to the new proposed uniform for Scouting Ireland.

http://www.scouts.ie/uniform/

What are your thoughts. I personally think it looks OK all do it might look totally different in reality we will see.

They have lost the head gear. We used to wear a UN Blue beret (I always looked good in this) and the Lanyard is now optional for activities. I am happy with the zip off trousers and breathable shirt not so sure about the rain jacket but we will see.

James

James

TAZ

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2004
Farnborough, Hampshire
The Irish uniform looks better than the British version. We have a choice of two coats (a fleece and a waterproof) but the waterproof is a bit of a sweatbox design/material, I like the idea of all of it.
Perhaps I will get my explorers to be adopted by an Irish group so we can have that uniform.
Good luck with the change over. :)

Taz

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Your Explorers would be more then welcome Taz.

This is still only the proposal and has yet to be seen out side of this art work and I am sure that there will be a few old na sayers but from the feed back I got last night at our meeting it seem pretty positive.

I pushed a friend that is part of the committee abit on the fact that it mentions the trousers etc. being made by one of Europes lending brand names but are sold as part of the uniform at 50%lower then the normal cost he wouldn't spill the beans but from the discription it's all most identical to the Craighopper zip offs used as the Irish uniform in Thialand in 2003.

It seems a good arounder so it gets my vote.

James

PeterW

Tenderfoot
Sep 20, 2004
Nottinghamshire
Zip offs were mooted about in the new uniform for the UK - one of our ADCs was involved in some of the initial consultation.

They were dropped as too expensive, but replaced with cargo trousers and long uniform shorts - which added together are significantly more than the cost of the zipoffs....! Work that out !!!

I used Tog24 zip offs, as the blue is nearly identical to the standard cargoes

Cheers

Peter

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Yep Zip off's are a better option and alot more versatile. It's taken them a while to move into the 21 Century. The vote before National Council is this weekend so if all goes through it will be out in May June 05.

I'll model it for you guys then. :eek:):

James

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE