UK Firemaking laws.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
K

Kizzle

Well i have been looking over the internet about the Swedish Firesteel and have just ordered one, i was watching some videos about basic fire building etc. and was quite shocked that people were making fire in woodland areas. I thought there would be some kind of rule against this, do you need a license to make such fires?

Mark.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You need the permission of the landowner in most woodland in England- in some areas (e.g. the New Forest) it is specifically illegal

Red

K

Kizzle

Thankyou for your replies, So i guess when out walking i can practice some bushcraft technique's such as the feather stick and practice lighting them with the firesteel.

Thanks alot, Mark :)

scrubcutter

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2008
Dorset
As an estate worker, we very rarely have fires in woodland. The reason being that fires can damage the soil as well as the roots of trees of course; and it's surprising how long the damage lasts for. I always grimace when I see a programme on TV where they do have fires in woods. All the old (and retired) woodsman (hurdlemakers, coppicers, so on) I know would have a fit if they saw a fire in a wood. :)

However, small fires, properly located, shouldn't be much of a problem (along with permission and common sense as mentioned in the other posts).

I don't think there is any specific national legislation that forbids fires in woodland (it's usually found as a subsection in Parliamentary Acts such as the Wildlife and Countryside Act and the CRoW Act) but there are local byelaws in place. Suffice to say that any protected areas, nature reserves, SSSI's, etc. have full protection from camp fires, barbeques, and so on.

Scrubbity

inthewids

Nomad
Aug 12, 2008
Morayshire
People have been having fires for thousands of years, if you are responsible and take care as to where it is located and clear up the ashes afterwards then i dont see the problem. It just takes a few idiots setting forests alight to spoil it for us lot.

I have done a bit of brashing and clearing and it sickened me to see workers setting the brash piles alight with diesel!! :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE