[UK Citizens] Louis Theroux's African Hunting Holiday

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I missed this, partly because I reckonned it would be rubbish, but at the suggestion of a co-worker I went and watched it last night on that iplayer thing. Glad I did, it was interesting.

I thoroughly sympathise with the people doing the game farming, they see it as no different to farming cattle, but unlike cattle it keeps the bush in a semi-wild state and makes them a better living to boot. I know that without the clients paying there would be no game, and I can understand that if you want to experience going after African game and have limited time and means, that these canned hunts are one of your few options. However I couldn't but feel that the shooting (I can't really bring myself to call what they were doing "hunting") of the trophies was akin, in sporting terms, of buying a replica of an Olympic medal, or the World Cup trophie, and awarding it to yourself for completing your morning jog or 5-a-side game.:p

Louis had me in stitches a few times! Particularly at the end when the rancher asked if he would like to go in and pat the penned sable antelope...LOL. Louis was quite keen on the idea till he was told that they would kill him :yelrotflm

Anyone else watch?

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
I guess it's not so different to farming pheasant in the UK - without the hunters (and let's face it, pheasant shoots are pretty much as challenging the african hunting was) the land the pheasants live on would be turned to other uses.

If it means a few more animals avoid extinction then it's probably a good thing. It's not something I would take part in, but each to their own.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I thought it was thoroughly good. It had the usual Theroux treatment of the subject with clever editing around his responses to some of the weirder moments.

I came out of it with a similar feeling to you Chris. 'Canned' hunting struck me as pathetic.

One of the most telling moments for me was one of the old wizened hunters/farmers saying that in his youth if he got one animal all season it would be a good one. He went out for the tracking and the patient psychological battle that underpins 'real' hunting.

The hunters were doing their best to sound respectful of the "beautiful" animals and the importance of minimizing distress, but sounded to me like they were reeling off the lines they knew they were supposed to say. They were there for trophies, not the love of nature IMHO.

I saw no problem with the way the animals were treated or despatched though, it seemed like a reasonable enterprise. I just felt sorry for the people so desperate for their trophies that they would accept this diluted substitute.

I am a compulsive watcher of Mr. Theroux's programs and it is important to understand his style and the bias he puts on his portrayal of the people he meets. Fascinating stuff though as usual.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Thanks for the link-its not bad that BBC i player thingy-last time I used it it was full of glitches,they seem to have it well sorted now though

The show itself was interesting and I agree with Wallenstein that its no different to a lot of gamebird hunting in this country-and that includes wildfowl if they were not hunted the conservation of the habitats would not be so well supported and numbers not so prolific
Having been brought up in the country in Scotland I laways thought it ironic that my relatives would work in the industry which provided game for sport but then generally hunt wild game in more remote areas when the "farmed" stuff was just down the road and easier to kill.
I suppose thats the difference to it being a lifestyle to it being a paid for leisure option for the more affluent in society
Louis Theroux is a great presenter and his programmes never fail to provoke thought

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE