Typha doll

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi Folks, not exactly Typha(Cattail),in fact it was a Cordyline plant that had died and i kept the leaves to have a play about with. This is my first attempt a making these dolls, i followed the instructions from the Society of Primitive Technology's book "Primitive Technology A Book Of Earth Skills" the article was written by Mors Kochanski.

Anyway i thought you might like a look.
doll.JPG

Cheers for looking Stuart.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Thanks Jon, i think doing projects like this are great as they teach you so much,ok its just a doll but in making the doll you are using core skills,i'e cordage making for the arms,knots that can be used using a natural material without breaking it,working with the material and learning its strengths and weaknesses. By making the doll i discovered that Cordyline is not the best material to use, as it has a central rib in the middle of the leave, that even when thoroughly soaked it remains quite stiff, thus nearly breaking the leaves in half when bending them into position.

I,m off to collect some Typha for hand drills so i will also use the leaves to make some more dolls, everyday is a learning day.:)

Stuart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE