Turbo Girl....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
this thread is for TurboGIRL.

after asking her if she would like to come to a meet she asked about my user name, and why i chose it as she is a 4 x 4 dealer.

the pictures that follow are for her, hope you like them.

the last few are my Afghan play thing...;)

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
hi robin, in my case it was to go into deep water, i had it half way up the screen a few times but your feet get wet if your in to long...;)

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Most Land Rovers with snorkels don't ever leave the tarmac - lots of posers about (and to be honest, even those who go off-roading don't really need to wade that deep). The Pinzgauer can wade to 70cm unmodified (Defenders are good to the top of the wheel rim without a bow wave, about 50cm) but I still managed to get mud in the carbs!

harrisp

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2011
Alfreton, Derbyshire
Most Land Rovers with snorkels don't ever leave the tarmac - lots of posers about (and to be honest, even those who go off-roading don't really need to wade that deep). The Pinzgauer can wade to 70cm unmodified (Defenders are good to the top of the wheel rim without a bow wave, about 50cm) but I still managed to get mud in the carbs!

Its better to have a snorkel and not need it than not have one and need it.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Both valid points but it still amuses me to see Defenders with winches, snorkels, huge tyres, spotlights etc. with spotless paintwork that has never been further off road than the average Fiesta...

I had water flooding in the windscreen vents on my Defender 90 at Slindon (no snorkel) - got a bit tense when I started losing grip but for an unmodified car with road tyres, it was very impressive. In standard form, Land Rovers* are good off-road but not the best! ;)

* a major advantage being that dents that would write off some other cars just add character!

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
anyone want to give me a land rover 90 that they don't want as i love em regards dave:lmao:

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Awww lannyman, she's lovely! No wonder you're kicking yourself :S But its when it all gets to cost too much, the rot carrys on even if they're mothballed and the costs escalate... They're super pics, exactly how a landrover should look! I am VERY much liking the Afgan playmobile, super nice... the smoking crater behind it is an inspired bit of positioning =)

I think where the landys win is the simplicity of fixing in the field- bit of damp in the electrics of the modern stuff and you're screwed whereas farmers have been keeping these ole gals ticking for years, mostly on baler twine!

Congrats to you, Spandit, on achieving mud ingestion into the carb, well played :)

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Driver skill is very important I'd have thought. I knew a guy who had the best Mitsubishi 4x4 money could buy all kitted out for off-road. Winch, snorkel, etc. Got it stuck on a beach and called local dealer for help (was only a month old). The local Mitsubishi dealer turned up in their landy and drove up next to him (with sea water rising up the tyres) hooked up a tow line and pulled him out!! That was down to the ignorance of the guy I knew. What I liked though is the dealer told him they are always fishing people off the beach with mistubishis which is why they got the landy. Obviously kept round the back out of the way. Wonder if you agree? Is a top spec shogun with a bit of kit any better or worse than a landy??

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
One phrase..................BY THE POWER OF GREYSKULL!

296990_10150373794771411_555631410_10599410_194172819_n.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE