tsitsitsitsietsie tsiatsiatsia-tsoritiu-kick

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I need a translation! I have been overwhelmed by the raucous goings on overhead in the woods recently and have a wish to become more familiar with which bird is singing which song. My bird book isn't that helpful (the example above is apparently the song of the chaffinch!). Does anyone know anywhere on line that provides good quality sound clips of british birds?

Z

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Mmm.. I have looked at that and it is good if you have actually spotted a bird. I am wanting to know who it is who is singing so I can look for them.

Z

Zlashdot

Jul 6, 2010
Trun
Howdy!
You funny description seemed familiar to me as I've been looking for this precise bird song description for a long time. If it's the same and very typical song we're talking about you might find the following excerpt useful:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jreEzsF0AYY#t=2m25s
It's called "Pinson des arbres" in french, AKA Chaffinch in English, AKA Fringilla coelebs.

Hope It'll help :)

Cheers, Phil.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
If you have a smartphone then there are some good free apps; I have a couple on mine which means I can hear the call and see the bird whilst outside looking at the real thing.

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
If you are an iphone (or simiar user) there is an app that deos that and gives a picture if you find the sound or a sound if you find the picture, sadly I don't know what it's called.

On PC I'd go with the RSPB Jason recommends..........

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Hi Stringmaker, any chance of a heads up on those apps?

Thanks

Leo

Hi Leo,

I got them from the free downloads section of the Apps Store on my i-Phone. I guess it depends what phone you have and where you get your apps, but all I did was search for "British Birds".

Hope that helps.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Just thought I would update this thread. I have found an app for my phone which can identify birds from their sounds. It's called Merlin by Cornell labs. I've only been playing with it for a couple of days but so far I am very impressed.
I just sat in my front garden listening to the traffic and the app picked up all of these:
1000014813.png

Z

Reactions: Toddy

Watch-keeper

Life Member
Sep 3, 2013
London
If you have a smartphone, you could buy a copy of the Collins Bird Guide, it has a substantial library of recordings for each bird plus photos and the usual guidebook ID info. I like it because it downloads to your phone so you don't need an internet connection when out and about. The only negative is the search function isn't great but other than that it's a very good guide.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Pleased you found Merlin; it is a fantastic app - but, don't take it as gospel. It occasionally makes mistakes.

We are working hard at improving our bird identification by sound for the Breeding Bird Survey :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE