Trevor Ablett 4" Lambfoot/Spear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

seany boy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2006
Lincolnshire
Well the other day Mr Postman turns up with my first Trevor Ablett:D

I've been meaning to get myself a nice traditional Sheffield made slip joint for a while, and Trevor Ablett's name has been mentioned quite alot recently.

I enjoyed the videos that Watcher and Grace Horne put up over on British Blades and British Red keeps going on about how good his Trevor Ablett is...........

well it all got to much for me and i found i could resist the temptation no longer.

I went ahead and ordered one from here...

http://www.sheffield-pocketknives.com/Trevor_Ablett_hand_made_pocket_knives.htm

Thought i'd share a few pic's

The Knife came in a nice presentation box.

TrevorAblett020.jpg

Along with a Certificate of authenticity.

TrevorAblett021.jpg

Fit and finish are excellent and the knife has a real feel of qualitiy about it.

A few more pic's.......

TrevorAblett005.jpg

TrevorAblett008.jpg

TrevorAblett013.jpg

TrevorAblett016.jpg

TrevorAblett001.jpg

Thanks for looking.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Lovely looking thing :) I hope you like it as much as I like mine - could I ask you to measure the cutting edge and PM me the length? I keep meaning to get another whilst Trevor is still working - just want to be sure which size to get (I have a 3" at the moment)

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Can someone refresh my memory, is it 3" or 3 1/2" for legal carry? I fancy something a little more graceful for opening boxes at work than a folding stanley knife.
Lovely little knife by the way.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
3" slippy Snufkin.

Its worth noting that the measurements of Trevor Abletts knives are a bit strange. My 3" has a blade length (cutting edge) of 2 1/2" or 2 3/4" including the ricasso.

Great knife though - I love it. For the same price as a basic SAK it was a steal

Red

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
That was painless, a 3 1/2" clip point rosewood barlow on its way:) .

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yeah - it just has to be rosewood somehow (although I like his sambar stuff now as well)

Hmmm do I need more than one?

Only thing is I must teach him to put an edge on before he sends em out (its only a quick job to sharpen em up mind you)

Red

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Yeah - it just has to be rosewood somehow (although I like his sambar stuff now as well)

Hmmm do I need more than one?

Only thing is I must teach him to put an edge on before he sends em out (its only a quick job to sharpen em up mind you)

Red

I always find I put a new knife on the waterstone if it needs it or not, sort of makes it mine somehow.
And do you need more than one? Silly question.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Thanks for the additional pics. Out of curiosity, how long did it take to arrive? Not that I'm impatient or anything:) .

seany boy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2006
Lincolnshire
Hi Snufkin,

ordered mine 18/01/08 and got a message back the same day saying that model was out of stock but could be reordered. I contacted Nigel at Littlemesters and asked him to go ahead as i did'nt mind waiting.
Received it last week 12/02/08 so just less than four weeks.

Excellent service and definitely worth waiting for.

I know it's been said before but these knives really are a bargain.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Only thing is I must teach him to put an edge on before he sends em out
:lmao: Trevor's a lovely bloke but rather set in his ways now - he's been doing what he does for far too long to be open to anyone to teaching him anything nowadays! When I was working with him last year he was showing no signs of retirement. Whether Little Mesters closing will impact on his business we'll see. I think Grace is going to see him on Tuesday so I might know more then.
Nicola (aka watcher)

i ordered a couple a while back but after they didnt apeare rang little misters and was tolds one wasnt in stock (found the explaining email buryed in the spam section which i rarly check :rolleyes: )
i hafd oreded teh 3 1/2" as tehy didnt have blade lengths the lenght apparntly refers ro the handle ie how long the closed knife is
after a buit of thinking and talking i changed to get a 4" same as below lambs foot and Spear by to ensure that the blades where 3" legal as one was 3" and the other 3 1/8" :rolleyes:
by which i mean bolster to tip not just cutting edge.
and a 3 1/2" (closer to 3 1/4" i was told) spear and peach pruner
i also now wanted both to match in the handle so double bolster and bufflao horn

its gettin close to the 4 weeks quoted so i cant wait :D

nice to see some one else agrees with my choice of Lambs foot and Spear point combo :cool:

ATB

Duncan

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
3" slippy Snufkin.

Its worth noting that the measurements of Trevor Abletts knives are a bit strange. My 3" has a blade length (cutting edge) of 2 1/2" or 2 3/4" including the ricasso.

Great knife though - I love it. For the same price as a basic SAK it was a steal

Red

Red,

I believe measures quoted to slipjoints normally refers to the closed knife.
Check out on your 3" one and see if it doesn't fit.

/ Karl

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nope - mine is 3 1/2" closed...exactly. Hmmm maybe it was a 3 1/2 "???

Dunno - either way its legal and I love it :)

Its also lambsfoot and spear too :D (I use the lambsfoot more I must admit).

Nicola - I know - wouldn't dare tell Trevor his trade - he is a master and his knives are a bargain (and like M. Snuffers I'd only sharpen it anyway)

Red

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I don't think I ever got around to posting links to my Trevor videos on here, just on BB. If you're interested they're here They aren't brilliant quality as it's just from my research tapes and was before I got to grips with my radio mics so the sound's dodgy, but they're an interesting little historical artifact.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I was almost in the same boat. I ordered a single bolster rosewood barlow but I got an email from Nigel this morning saying they were out of stock but were due in a couple of weeks. He did have a single bolster in buffalo or a double bolster in rosewood if I couldn't wait. I was very tempted to say both but went for the double bolster. It was posted today, so hopefully I should have it tomorrow or Saturday:) .

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My excuse is my friends son has been poorly for a long time and I promised him a pocket knife when he got out of hospital and his dad took him camping. So I ordered two and he will get whichever seems more suitable when I get them ;).

Now the other one I have no excuse for :D.

Seems like a proper knife for a boy to me somehow - nothing silly and tricksy - just honest and solid.

I think it should come with a castle, a dog, a mystery and lashings and lashings of ginger beer

Red

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I'm actually thinking of ordering up another just in case I ever have a child. I'd have liked my dad to give me a knife like that when I was a lad.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE