Trapping experiences

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Hi all

Just wondered what experiences you have had and could share on trapping, Critters caught, types of traps used etc.

I have only ever caught a rabbit with a snaire once, and I think it was a daft rabbit and not skill..

Don

Hi Bush Tucker,
I'm a Trapper (Mammal Control Ranger) and I catch a variety of small mammals but not for food. I have to do it to remove the predators of some rare lizards as part of a conservation programme. Most of the trap types I use are kill traps, plus some leghold traps, so you're unlikely to come across any of them in the UK.
What sort of stuff did you want to know about specifically?
There was a great link on here somewhere to a pdf file called "Camplife in the Woods" that is a copy of an old booklet about traps and trapping of all sorts of types and critters from fish to bears! Maybe someone else can remember where it is? I think it might have been amongst a bunch of scounting booklets!
Hope this helps,
J

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Hi Bush Tucker,
I'm a Trapper (Mammal Control Ranger) and I catch a variety of small mammals but not for food. I have to do it to remove the predators of some rare lizards as part of a conservation programme. Most of the trap types I use are kill traps, plus some leghold traps, so you're unlikely to come across any of them in the UK.
What sort of stuff did you want to know about specifically?
There was a great link on here somewhere to a pdf file called "Camplife in the Woods" that is a copy of an old booklet about traps and trapping of all sorts of types and critters from fish to bears! Maybe someone else can remember where it is? I think it might have been amongst a bunch of scounting booklets!
Hope this helps,
J

its in the downloads section of BushcraftUK: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/downloads/file-downloads/file-downloads.html

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE