Trangia Fire Starter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Talking to a scout leader the other day and we started talking about lighting damp wood, he came up with an idea that I'd never even thought of trying before. If he can't light the wood, he just builds the fire over the top of the trangia and lights the trangia, takes it out when the fires out.

Anyone else tried this?

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
apparently he does leave it in although I think once the fire was going and some of the bigger logs were on I'd be tempted to remove it. carefully :p

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Yet another plus point for the good old Swedish burner :) Maybe we should have tried that in February eh Matt?
Perhaps to make it easier to remove the burner you could build the fire up to one side only, with a log resting on the trangia, then when it got going you could put a stone or another log there instead.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Of course he could just select a better grade of wood for lighting his fire, standing dead wood for example and pencil thin or finer kindling (stick bundle) or even splitting the damp wood rather than risk his stove.

Another thought is if he has a stove does he need to light a fire that badly? And I'd be very suspicious of such a technique as it would invariably damage the trangia's wick - but proof of the pudding is in the eating.

If some tries it and it works let us know! Even more so if the trangia survives in a reuseable state.

Last thought - its only a variation on the trick of using a candle stub, although possibly a more expensive one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE