Training...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Hi all.

A service user at my work who has minor learning difficulties and mental health issues is extremely interested in undertaking his cub scout leader training.

He has done most of it before but didn't complete it after being bullied by another Scout. does anyone know if it is possible nowadays for someone like him to do such training and be involved in running a cub/ scout group? If so, how do I find a suitable venue for him?

He is not a threat and would easily pass a CBR check.

Cheers

Rob

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The Scout Association is divided into Groups, Districts and Areas.

Your local contact is probably the East Calder Group

Quoted from the local paper dated May '09

"EAST CALDER SCOUTS: East Calder Scout Group is opening its waiting lists for this term, there are a few places available in each of the 3 sections Beavers 6-8yrs Cubs 8-10yrs and Scouts 10-14yrs There are always places available for adults willing to support The Scout Group . If interested Contact Jack Galloway 07790793889"

At least it would be a contact point within the local organisation who might be able to advise you.

Hope it helps,
atb,
M

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
As Toddy said the best route by far is to make contact with a local group and/or district and see how things go. There is a central way to do this as well as finding local contacts yourself.

http://www.scouts.org.uk/join will give you a loads of info then the right hand picture get you to https://members.scouts.org.uk/join/join_volunteer.php which is the enquiry form.

Leader training can be quite a daunting commitment, there is also the role of Unit/Group/Troup/Pack/Colony (according to age group) Assistant which is a stepping stone.

Plus of course there are loads of non leadership but equally important roles, uniformed or not, that are explained in the links from the first page above.

Hope this helps.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Thanks peter, we called the troop in question and our man is going there tonight for an interview and possible start. :)

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
the association is pretty good at learning difficulties and apparently approx 60% of leaders are dyslexic or have aspergers etc.. with the right pack and leadership he should be fine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE