Traditional fabrics

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Doing some reading on the "Cravenette" treatment ( never heard of it before) it seems it was a simple silicone treatment to impart some water repellency and toughness to the yarn. It had soiling problems though with oils and greases. I imagine that it fell out of favour because it was no panacea and the soap needed to clean wool struggled with the oils?

I had no idea silicone coated wool was still being made but it is. It appears that PTFE/Teflon coated wool is now available and used by some respected makers. Interesting stuff. :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Interesting stuff indeed..................I'll have a little search about and see if I can find out more about the modern stuff and who uses it, and for what. The above-mentioned jacket and my Morgedal are my go-to outerwear and they both use a different form of roughly the same method:
Processing the fibre before weaving seems to me to be a good way forward, and I've never been so comfortable!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I just bought an ex Hungarian military blanket - great quality, perhaps even better than the Dutch!
I do not know whether to make clothing from it or keep it as a blanket!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE