Tough, but Lightweight leather walking boots?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
Having found that 'cordura, suede & goretex' boots are just not tough enough for the sort of walking I like (scree, rocks & scrambling) I'm interested in replacing them with a leather pair.

I already have a pair of Scarpa Manta for winter walking and a pair of Scarpa Vega from my ice climbing days, so I'd like something fairly light and semi-flexible and with a rubber 'bumper' covering the toe so that I don't take chunks out of the leather at the front when on loose rock.

I have a fairly narrow foot so wide fitting boots are no use to me.

I was looking at Brasher in the local Millets earlier which could be ok, but they don't appear rugged enough for my tastes.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Cheers.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hi Aristotle,
I walk about an average of 15-20 miles per day over a good mix of terrain and, when i'm not walking, i'm working on the farm. I have a pair of Brashers, and they are great. I didn't think they'd be rugged either but they were the only boots that i found comfy. Much too my supprise, they are look alomst as good as new after 5 months of hard use (reckon i've walked about 1500 miles so far).
Failing that, i also have a pair of miendal borneos, also v rugged.
Good luck
Baggins

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Yup I throw in for brashers to, Wifey has a pair, she is unblivabley hard on her kit, goes through issue boots like cheese, but her brashers have held up for the past five years and pretty much look as new, thats hill lots of hill tramping, and two expeds to Utah, very good kit.

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
What does the toe-cap area look like on the Brashers after a lot of use? Does sharp rock/scree take lumps out of it? Heavier duty boots and a lot of the canvas/suede one have reinforcement at that point.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
If you've a narrow foot, then the meindl's are probably out, as they are a broad fit, but have a look on ebay at the german mountain boots, they come in different width fittings, and have a deep rubber rand around the boot, but the sole is very soft, and wears quickly on a hard surface. They are cheap though.

Rob

Beardy Adam

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire
What does the toe-cap area look like on the Brashers after a lot of use? Does sharp rock/scree take lumps out of it? Heavier duty boots and a lot of the canvas/suede one have reinforcement at that point.

I was thinking the same whilst reading the replies. I enjoy some good scrambling myself and whilst I don't know which specific model of Brashers you are talking about, all I would say is that a rubber rand over the toe would be a must for scrambling. Otherwise they will quickly be pocked with holes and nicks in the leather and over time this will only get worse.

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
I have 2 pairs of Brasher boots, Brasher Hillmaster GTX & Brasher Towa GTX Boot.

As mentioned the Hillmasters are great lightweight leather boots but the toes do get scuffed. The Towa are suede and 1200D fabric uppers, these have an outer toe cover - really tough boots.

Richard

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
I use Panama Jack boots and they are just great!
Would absolutely recommend it!

In there sortiment they have a lot of different types - from small ones up to high boots!
I wear a 6" high boot and for this size they are really light weight!
They may look like a timberland clone but in my opinion they are a little better :)

Sry, that I couldn´t say anything about the Brasher but I found MY perfect shoes in the panama jacks!

All the best
Mike

WoodMan

Forager
Jan 18, 2008
Norfolk
My money is on Brasher's too. Enjoy the lightweight and comfort and when they are buggered buy another pair! My last pair of Hillmasters were well and truely abused but still perfectly usable. I gave them away simply because I have loads of boots and I needed to cut back and the new owner is still getting plenty of lowland use out of them.

Your Mantas are brilliant winter boots but they will feel like those lead deep sea divers boots on the first outing after a summer of Brashers!

With canvas/cordura boots I think that you just have to accept that they wear out quickly and the trick is to buy them cheap (stay with quality brands but buy in sales etc) so that it doesn't hurt so much if you have to bin them after a couple of years.

Glyn.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I would disagree with the other guys as I think the Brashers are a hillwalking boot and are not ideal for scrambling. The Brashers are a very good boot but the soles are too soft and flexible, the toe edge is also gripped where as a scrambling boot has a smooth edge like a climbing boot.

I would look at the La Sportiva Trango's or the Scarpa Charmoz, these boots are designed for Via Ferrata and alpine days and are ideal for big mountain routes up to Very Difficult. Ive had a pair of Trango's for a couple of years, you can wear them pretty much all summer as long as its not to wet and your not 'bog trotting'.There great on big routes like Tower Ridge or the Aonach Eagach.

WoodMan

Forager
Jan 18, 2008
Norfolk
I would disagree with the other guys as I think the Brashers are a hillwalking boot and are not ideal for scrambling. The Brashers are a very good boot but the soles are too soft and flexible, the toe edge is also gripped where as a scrambling boot has a smooth edge like a climbing boot.

I would look at the La Sportiva Trango's or the Scarpa Charmoz, these boots are designed for Via Ferrata and alpine days and are ideal for big mountain routes up to Very Difficult. Ive had a pair of Trango's for a couple of years, you can wear them pretty much all summer as long as its not to wet and your not 'bog trotting'.There great on big routes like Tower Ridge or the Aonach Eagach.

Fair point, I think the scrambling element is going to throw a spanner in the works and make any choice a compremise. Glyn.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
5.10 Exum Guides are good. Very comfortable, superb sticky rubber (for those scrambly moments) and they even come in a comparatively muted colour - or should that be 'color'?

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
From back in my youth working in climbing shops in Brecon and London:

German and Britsh boots have wide lasts for our wider feet - Brasher, Meindl and Altberg
Italian boots are made for the slighter Italian foot - Zamberlan, Asolo etc

You could look at Danner which do specific width fittings.

You are probably looking at B1 boots, whihc should come with a toe bumper, but you could look at the stalking boots which are becoming more popular, as the sport become ever more so, they have rands all around.

As always with boots - try before you buy.

kINGPIN

Nomad
Dec 14, 2009
Cambridgeshire UK
I just bought a set of Altbergs mountain boots, good quality but bloody pretty heavy. My brashers on the other hand are super comfortable from the start but feel like they struggle scrambling and the like. that said, they have'nt failed me yet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE