Totally new fire product!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
If you want to carry cord for firelighting I wonder if the old Spanish firestarters are still available. These had something like match cord similar to musket match that was threaded into a holder with a flint and wheel like a lighter. Flick the wheel and the end of the cord glowed enough to start a fire. Push it through as it was used up. One could probably extemporise something from a gas lighter top.

Here we are http://www.toledo-bend.com/VCL/lighters/index.asp?request=lighters190

often called shepars lighters

you can still get them but I'm yet to find a UK supplier

http://www.natureetdecouvertes.com/...iquet-des-bergers-pyreneens-a-amadou-52011120

Yeah sorry, but this seems like a bad idea from all sides if you ask me. It's a concern already about keeping synthetic materials near a fire, such a rucksack, let alone tying fire starting aids all over it and the rest of my gear. That tied with the degradation of the strength due to gutting the 550...

kevin-oleary-meme.jpg

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
OK most people don't seem to like the idea here. No problem they made their kickstarter total within 24 hours so no biggy. I will try it out and see what it's is like when I get some and report back :)

Yes there are some issues which they are looking into like the strength of the cord and stuff and even the name.

I like the idea cause of it's multi use application and idea and yes you could use tradition fire rope (cotton rope impregnated with saltpetre) but that is not waterproof and tend to be of a large size and heavy when carrying a lot of it or even waxed jute but that is not very easy to tie knots with and stiff and heavy to for it's size. They are putting ideas out there for how to use it and I have thought of a few for myself and how I am likely to use it.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
OK most people don't seem to like the idea here. No problem they made their kickstarter total within 24 hours so no biggy. I will try it out and see what it's is like when I get some and report back :)

Yes there are some issues which they are looking into like the strength of the cord and stuff and even the name.

I like the idea cause of it's multi use application and idea and yes you could use tradition fire rope (cotton rope impregnated with saltpetre) but that is not waterproof and tend to be of a large size and heavy when carrying a lot of it or even waxed jute but that is not very easy to tie knots with and stiff and heavy to for it's size. They are putting ideas out there for how to use it and I have thought of a few for myself and how I am likely to use it.

As a novelty "survival" item such as in the bracelet or knife lanyard scenario I can see the appeal. It needs to have a specific colour and name though to prevent misuse or confusion. I would suggest it would be best sold pre-made into such items rather than being sold as rope.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE