Totally customised Swanndri...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Even if you don't like DPM, you gotta admit this is pretty cool ;) :lmao:

Can you guess what it started life as? :D

Swani1.JPG

Complete with map pocket!
Swani_pocket.JPG

In fact, it has a LOT of pockets, nine in total, plus a two way YKK zipper, draw cord waist, and fleece lined collar and hand warmers. :D Map pocket will also take a GB mini. Cargo pockets have additional handwarmers behind them. No cotton cloth used anywhere, just wool and select areas of Polartec100.

This amazing bit of tailoring was done by my mum ( :notworthy ) during weekend visits spread over 18 months. Some of you who have met my mum at the Moots will know what a star she is, well, this project is just another confirmation! Ideal bushcrafter's parent! :D :You_Rock_

Two years ago I was given an XL DPM Bush Shirt. I wasn't wild about the style and thought it would be fairly straight forward to modify it...shorter, no hood, zip front and some pockets from the spare material. My mum thought she could do something with it, and here are the results! Bush Shirts are made with zero tailoring, so everything had to be done from scratch :eek: Not something either of us had bargained on. Many times I was heartily sorry I had initiated the project because of the headaches it caused to shape and stitch that heavy wool :eek:.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
C_Claycomb said:
Can you guess what it started life as? :D
Several sheep.

nice conversion job. Swandrii (plural) do suffer from a distinct lack of tayloring and groups of swani clad crafters in the rain tend to look like green cistertian monks.You'll have the benefit of pockets, a properly fire resistant, fitted garment and no one will see you cos of the camoflage. :lmao:
Exellent work Mrs Claycome senior :You_Rock_

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Now let me tell you something about this coat guys and girls....

Chris dropped by my place the other evening to collect a couple of things and showed me the jacket whilst he was here. He did NOT tell me where it had come from (other than to tell me he had been given it some time ago) or how it came into being. I had a good close look at the thing (I even tried it on) and guess what ? ... I've been searching the ruddy web ever since to see if I could find one in OG rather than cammo ! :lmao: I didn't realise that his mother had made it out of a shirt! :eek: I honestly thought that it was a genuine Swanni garment that my previous searchings had failed to reveal !

Chris, you're a lucky guy with a VERY clever mum. :)

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
Longstrider said:
Now let me tell you something about this coat guys and girls....

Chris dropped by my place the other evening to collect a couple of things and showed me the jacket whilst he was here. He did NOT tell me where it had come from (other than to tell me he had been given it some time ago) or how it came into being. I had a good close look at the thing (I even tried it on) and guess what ? ... I've been searching the ruddy web ever since to see if I could find one in OG rather than cammo ! :lmao: I didn't realise that his mother had made it out of a shirt! :eek: I honestly thought that it was a genuine Swanni garment that my previous searchings had failed to reveal !

Chris, you're a lucky guy with a VERY clever mum. :)

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Sorry Longstrider! :eek: :lmao: I meant to mention its origin :p :lmao: The closest thing you are likely to find is the Stalker Extreme.
http://www.ptarmiganclothing.com/product_detail.asp?shopby=collection&id=91

I did tell my mum to keep records so that she could sell the plans, but I think that too much wound up being done as 3D alterations. Getting the sleeves right was a pain and I doubt the pattern that we started with resembles the finished article :(

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
C_Claycomb said:
Sorry Longstrider! :eek: :lmao: I meant to mention its origin :p :lmao: The closest thing you are likely to find is the Stalker Extreme.
http://www.ptarmiganclothing.com/product_detail.asp?shopby=collection&id=91

I did tell my mum to keep records so that she could sell the plans, but I think that too much wound up being done as 3D alterations. Getting the sleeves right was a pain and I doubt the pattern that we started with resembles the finished article :(

You could ask her to unpick all the stitching and create templates then restitch it back together again but I think she might strangle you with it Chris :lmao:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Well, if you started with the correct size of Mosgiel it wouldn't be nearly as hard to make one very like that.

We met the UK distributors for Swanndri at a Country show over the Easter weekend and they sounded interested when we described what we did. They are getting sent some drawings. I wouldn' t hold my breath though ;)

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Ahh okay, so it was a lace front shirt originally? blimey, that's some transformation! Props to your mum!

Were the pockets etc. made from the fabric that was produced by the tailoring and resizing?

It would be nice if Swanndri made some tailored stuff, would be nice to wear for casual wear.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice one Chris's mum :D It's not easy to so completely alter a finished garment and make a good job of it, so it really is impressive.

Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE