Topic for woodstock.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
Woodstock asked me to post about trapping and hunting...but I'm unsure as to where to start. Perhaps by saying what it is that I hunt and trap.

Well firstly rabbits. Local farmers find rabbits to be a pest so I make the most of this and get some off the farmers land. To do this I go at night with a high powered torch and an air rifle and take the shots. I sell the pelts to a furrier and make around £2 a pelt. The rabbit meat gets chopped and frozen until I cook it. Usually a stew or I sometimes do roast rabbit.

Squirrels I trap. I get both grey and red squirrels. Red ones are released but the grey ones are dispatched with a sharp blow to the head with a truncheon. The squirrel furs go to a furrier at around £1 a pelt. Squirrels tend to be boiled then stripped from the bones and I then chopped like pulled pork.

Deer. I don't shoot deer often, usually only when on a hunt. I will take roadkill deer if I see it get knocked down. Skin it, cut it and put it in the freezer. Again, no often I do this.

Pigeons are killed by air rifle. I tend to go for pigeons in the wild rather than city pigeons...but sometimes a city pigeon yields fattier meat which is good for cooking. I don't however cook it often.

Pheasant, grouse, duck and goose. I shoot these only when on active hunts however not often. Usually plucked and hung for a few days before cooked.

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Squirrels I trap. I get both grey and red squirrels. Red ones are released but the grey ones are dispatched with a sharp blow to the head with a truncheon. The squirrel furs go to a furrier at around £1 a pelt. Squirrels tend to be boiled then stripped from the bones and I then chopped like pulled pork.

You get red squirrels regularly in Bedfordshire?

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
I think I worked it out that one in 25 traps will result in a red squirrel. Probably the same family to be fair. I don't spot them often but I do see them.

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
You should record them if that is the case. See here...

http://rsst.org.uk/about-us/faqs/

squirrel-maps.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE