Tools of a huntsman..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I know what you mean about wind noise. I use mine for target work only.

The woodlore's fine, some people may say you need a stainless knife but that's only correct if you're selling the meat. If it's for your own consumption there's no problem. For our situation I'm not sure it makes a huge difference anyway to be honest.
Any knife gets very mucky though - as I'm sure you know, so it's a good idea to carry wet wipes or similar to give a quick wipe down before sheathing it.

I'm not in the office tomorrow so I'll catch up with this thread (and the rest) on Wednesday.

Cheers

Mark

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Any problem getting a moderator put on your ticket?
I'm in NI and no one i know has one on a full bore.
What reason do you give , for stalking or for health and safety (your hearing) or for noise pollution?
My fullbore is on for range use only (Swedish mauser 6.5 x 55) but im thinking about trying stalking as a few of my mates do it in the South.
Have to get my level 1 first.
RB

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Rapid boy

Prob best for those that have gone thru process to reply, but i know Buckshot away a few days etc.

My understanding is that used to be virtually impossible - as usual with things varying hugely between Police forces.

Then about three years ago the health and Safety implications surfaced and the Police were advised they may be held liable for hearing damage etc.

Since then they appear to apply the law ( OK arguable ) - ie if you show good reason, then they should authorise.

Those that I know applied on following grounds -

1. When stalking impractical to wear ear protection. Safer for user to moderate blast. In addition helps stalker remain alert to walkers etc - he/ she can hear them.

2. Reduces ground disturbance - other users and game birds etc

3. Reduces recoil - combined with reduced noise, aids stalker in observing strike of shot and following up with a second shot if required to despatch quarry humanely.

Range use opens up the old chestnut of zeroing etc - so you may have to argue the point. Traditionally much less of an issue to wear ear protection on a range.

I am a NRA RCO and in my experience the firing line is an easier place to control if people are able to shoot and hear clearly.

Hope helps. Others with more practical experience, please pitch in.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Hi Oakleaf,
A few guys at the range had been talking about trying the "health and safety / compensation for damage to hearing" approach, as it seems like a fairly good "lever".
I like the idea of moderators for several reasons and i would like to present a good case when the time comes for me to apply.
As i said ,i don't know of anyone here who has one one a fullbore ,but there always has to be a first time and for some reason the PSNI are granting moderators for rimfires without any hassle now so perhaps that time is coming.
Thanks for your help
RB

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I believe there was a court case in Europe (Belgium I think) where a shooter took the police force to court for hearing damage because they wouldn't authorise him to have a moderator and won on H&S grounds.
I don't know the exact circumstances but that's the gist of it.

Anyway, since then the UK police forces have become far more accomodating to the use of moderators on full bore rifles, in fact, I don't know of anyone having an application of a moderator refused. Perhaps Adi or someone more in the know would be able to shed some more light on that.
Obviously, as Oakleaf says, the 'Good reason' clause needs to be upheld.

I suppose it's arguable that shooting only on a range is less of a reason because everyone else would also need to use moderators to get the benfit. Otherwise you'd have to wear hearing protection for thier guns rather than your own.
However, if you're stalking there's usually only one or two guns being used so it's easier to make sure they all have mods on.
When I applied for mine I just said I didn't want to wake everyone in a five mile radius at 5 in the morning !

In terms of using a stalking rifle and moderator on a range for zeroing :
This is perfectly legal and you can (and should) also use expanding ammo on the range as well (as long as the range is certified for it).There's no point in zeroing your gun using different ammo to the sort you're going out stalking with !
Your ticket should say something along the lines of 'for use on approved land and ranges for zeroing' I can't remember the exact wording and I haven't got my ticket infront of me but it's along those lines. If it hasn't, I sugest you contact your Firearms dept. to confirm and get it changed.

BUT you can only zero using expanding ammo, if you enter a competition using expanding ammo you are no longer zeroing as part of your stalking activities and therefore the ammo is subject to section 5 regulations e.g. it's illegal.

I zero on a range with my full stalking kit - rifle, scope, moderator, bipod and expanding ammo laying next to the target shooting boys with their open apiture sights, eye patches and single point slings.
I was going to enter a target comp using my kit in F class (which allows bipods, scopes etc. until I realised I'd have to use solid ammo which means re-zeroing...)

Hope this is clearer than mud !!!

Cheers

Mark

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
O'siyo Carcajou. I agree with your words on the hunt. Well said.

I carry my hunting kit in an OD multi pocketed vest. On my belt I carry a Mora 2000, a Victorinox SAK w/saw and scout firesteel, as well as a leatherman tool and mil issue canteen w/cup.

Because I hunt with an American design reflex/deflex takedown longbow, I carry an extra finger tab, hot melt glue, a few extra fletches and fletching tape, extra string w/silencers and a back quiver with 3 small game arrows and 2 roving arrows, on my bow is a bow quiver with 4 matched big game arrows.

In my vest I carry:

Buffalo jerkey and parched corn, ground together into a coarse flour/meal
55 gal. industrial grade drum liner
Space blanket
Compass
Map of area
FAK
2 feminine napkins (kotex supers)
Wool socks
Lined jacket
US mil issue poncho
2 do-rags (scarves)
TP
Accusharp sharpener
1oz. plastic squeeze dropper bottle w/bleach
2 ea. 1 gal ziploc freezer grade bags
2 game bags (deer/wild boar size)
1 pair cotton gloves
2 pair surgical/exam gloves
Salt and pepper packs
Spark-lite firestarting kit w/tender
Adjustable disposable lighter
Esbit stove w/4 fuel tabs
2 Pitchwitch firestarters
LED light that clips onto my wool crusher

I probably forgot something but that's most of it. Yep, forgot 50' of parachute line and my mini fishing kit.

Quill

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 29, 2004
Wisconsin
What I'm hunting seems to dictate some of what I carry. Also how far I am going. If hunting small game, then it could be 22mag revolver or 22 rifle which uses long or shorts. If bird hunting then a shotgun, .410 or 20ga. goes with. A small sheath knife comes along. Always wear my leatherman wave. In vest is matches, compass, small fak, whistle, very likely another knife and plastic bags. When hunting larger game, then I take my lever action 44-40. Magazine holds 10rds. I will put an extra 10 or less rds. in a pocket. I tend not to carry to much extra ammunition, mainly because it is not needed. If it is an overnight hunt then more comes, including camping equipment. I also bring a good piece of rope for draging large game. Here in the high desert, you want to get back to your truck if you can at the end of the day. You can only haul so much water with you. There are really a lot of variables that only experiance will tell you what to bring.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Ahh RovingArcher, hunting with a longbow. : -l)

In the UK, bows of any kind are only allowed to be used on targets not game.
I think the powers that be decided there is too much chance of wounding a animal rather than killing it. Either that or it goes back to the dark ages to stop peasants poaching :shock: .

There's no substitute for shot placement.

Cheers

Mark

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Well Guys,

My "stalking" is restricted to rabits - bunny bashing as its known. My kit is usually an air rifle, either an Air Arms s400 or TX200, both .177, 35mm film canister of pellets,(sometimes .22 rimfire and ammo instead of air rifle and pellets) knife - either opinel or swiss army, mini maglite, string - usually baler string, 2 pairs surgical gloves. Kit carried in pockets and largish army surlus shoulder bag.

Clothing will be army lightweight trousers, hi-tec boots or le chameux wellies, tee-shirt & jumper if needed covered with x-large realtree long sleeve tee shirt (NEVER machine washed), green thin gardening gloves with index finger and thumb removed, hat - Rogue and face veil.

Pigeon shooting sees a 12 bore shotgun, 150 cartridges & sometimes cammo net replacing the rifle. My barbour coat is usually there too.

Quite jealous of you stateside guys, I had a few weeks living in Kalispell (edited for spelling - thats what I get for typing at work while looking over my shoulder :)) Montana, you have some great countryside available.

Dave

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Agreed, it all comes down to respect for the target you're aiming at.

There's an archery club that practices near by. I would like to go along and learn how to it properly but I don't have enough time for work and hobbies at the moment, let alone another one :cry:

Perhaps in a year or two. :-?

Cheers

Mark

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I think I may have found the ultimate stalker boot - USAF Survival Moccasins. Yep only in america!

I have a friend sending me a pair will let you know how they work out!

Quill

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 29, 2004
Wisconsin
Sorry you guys are so limited. But hey no crime there right! :roll: I never met a hunter that let wounded game get away. Then again, I think another hunter might find it and take it home. Never found any myself. Only those hit by cars. Funny in most places you can't shoot a deer to put out of it's misery after it has been hit by car. Have to use a knife or club. Find time to learn the bow. It is like fly fishing, very addictive and relaxing.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Out on the estuary in winter, for coastal wildfowling, I have a Browning 12 bore O/U shotgun - actually the back-bored GTi model which is really intended for clays. However, it fits me well, and the 2 3/4 inch chambers aren't a massive handicap. There is nothing finer than being out on the foreshore at dawn, the smell of the sea, the waves crashing, the red glimmer in the eastern sky and the sight of wild geese - sometimes!

Of course, the odds are heavily loaded in the quarry's favour. A box of 25 goose cartridges might last me 4 or 5 seasons.

Also have a cheap and nasty French bolt action .410 shotgun. Don't use it much.

Have occasionally taken the odd rabbit with my .177 BSA Airsporter S - a classic design first launched in 1947. I was given it nearly 20 years ago by my folks for doing well in my exams! I sometimes think about getting a pre-charged air rifle, and probably will one day, though they all look ugly to me. Tried a Daystate Harrier once and quite liked it.

Also have a 1968 45lb Bear Tigercat recurve bow - obviously not for hunting in the UK, though perhaps its previous owner took deer with it.

For trout I have a Shakespeare Expedition fly road. Not a bad bushcraft choice as comes in 4 sections in a robust olive Cordura case. Good value too.

Is bowfishing illegal in the UK?

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Gary said:
I think I may have found the ultimate stalker boot - USAF Survival Moccasins. Yep only in america!

I have a friend sending me a pair will let you know how they work out!

I've been looking for a pair of quiet shoes for a couple of months, let us know how you get on.

Doc.
Is bowfishing illegal in the UK?
:rolmao:

Cheers

Mark

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
:lol: I've bowfished and spearfished. Both are great times. I even tried an Atlatl and it was good fun, but I'd starve before hitting a fish with a spear from one. :lol:

The local indigenous people (Costanoan-Esselen) used to take steelhead in our little river here by sprinkling the dried and ground root of a local plant that grows locally. It would stun the fish and they'd float to the top for easy havesting. Similar results as the hand grenade, except they'd still have to clean the fish. :wink:

Quill

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 29, 2004
Wisconsin
Where did you find the USAF moccasins? I tried to find them, but was unable to find a source. Gracias!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE