Too lazy to make charcloth?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jakunen

Native
Personally I prefer charcloth, flint and steel, it has a nice 'feel' to it.

And I still can't get the rotten firebow to work...

Just for a laugh I've just bought some off e-bay to see if his stuff is any good.

And before anyone calls me a muppet, I'm just doing some market research Ok?

Oh, alright then, I admit, SWMBO won't let me do it in the house, the neighbours hang their washing outside and complain about the smoke and I'm a lazy swine. Ok! Happy now? :lol:

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
steve a said:
Bambodoggy, I agree that using the firesteel and natural tinders gathered from the area is important, in fact he did that as well, using birch bark scrapings and also shedding bark, the fact is he , like many kids and adults is a pyromanic and the more methods he has in his skill base the more able he will be. Apparently and I have no idea where he got this from, if he continues to learn and learns well he is going to grow up and be an instructor for a bear ??????????? :wink: or so he reckons he was told.
At the end of the day, its just fun, having more than one method of firelighting is just skill building, I always carry a lighter, firesteel, matches,flint and steel, and yet often I will make myself a bow drill, go figure :shock: :rolmao:

Can't agrue with any of that Mate.... :biggthump Don't suppose he wants to train me at the next meet does he! :p

I'm the same in that I have a firesteel, often matches and, as I smoke, always a lighter......and last Sunday up at my local woods....I made a bow drill set....because I could :eek:):

If it's just that you like the idea of charcloth or you like the "old ways" then that's cool.... we all do that and I am mellowing to charcloth if it works as well as you guys say in high wind but I still don't think it's my cup-a-tea yet.

Obviously this is a Bushcraft forum and I think imo charcloth is fine for bushcrafting (if that's what you like) but I don't think it has almost any value in a survival situation due to the fact that if it's been prepared before hand then you could have prepared a little block of magic-tinder or whatever it's called.... anyway, I'm saying the same thing again so I'll shut up :tapedshut

jakunen

Native
Phil,

Firstly, yes, charcloth is that good and is my chosen form of arson, I mean getting a brew on outdoors. :rolmao:

As for emergency situations you can argue it both ways for everything.

I carry a zippo but the fuel can (and does) run out as its a bit old and the fuel evaporates. And as its a very special issue one, I'm not too keen on sending it back to be fixed in case it finds a new home...

Matches, unless they're lifeboat 'only lasts 2 seconds' matches, can get soggy and so won't work. Even if they're in a film pot which can get broken or compressed so the lid pops off.
And trying to strike a light with cold hands can be difficult...

Chukka lighters and refillables - see zippo lighter comments.

It can often be easier to get charcloth to catch than other natural or manmade tinders and its certainly a LOT easier than trying to use a bow drill.

But, its good to know, and more importantly be able to use, all the different methods in case you do actaully need them in an survival situation. And may none of us ever be there.

Whether you carry a chukka, wetfire, clematis bark, charcloth or bowset is purely a matter of personal preference and skill (unless you're on a course of course) and no one method should be considered as 'the right one' as personal choice and the situation at hand dictate whichever you can use at the time, is the right one.

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Phil, have a word with JP he's got a really nice Buffalo horn one that I saw at last years Wilderness Gathering, maybe he will bring it along to the next meet and let you have a play, never used one myself but I understand charcloth works quite well in one :lol:

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Gary said:
Phil, best you sew your hands in your pockets mate! :shock:

:rolmao: for the first time in my life I actually seem to have a little spare cash at the end of each month...yippy! Still, have to enjoy it while I can as I'm leaving work at some point this year and starting up my own business....of which I know nearly nothing about so it should be fun (nothing like jumping in at the deep end to sink or swim :roll: ).....and no doubt the spare cash will dry up then...... on the other hand, this tme next year I might be a millionaire!!!!! (If I am I'll buy us our own woods to all play in..lol)

JP....can I have a go on your fire piston please..... oh and can one of the very nice people I've been annoying about charcloth bring some along for me please.... :oops:

jakunen

Native
I understood that pistons were a swine to work with?

And having to use a pricker to remove the ember seems like a great way to end up with a useless piece of kit if you lose the tool.
Whilst I'm not denying that that work, they've been around for donkeys ears, I think I'll stick to my F&S.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE