Tonights Blue Moon.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I know Tadpole has already give us one definition of a blue moon in a previous thread, however there is also a more modern one too. It is very simply when there are two full moons in one month. I haven't done any calculations to see if it works out the same as the old one, so forgive me if this doesn't fit with it, it wasn't me who thought of it.. :eek::

The old definition from wikipedia:
Wikipedia said:
In the 19th and early 20th centuries, the Maine Farmers' Almanac listed blue moon dates for farmers. These correspond to the third full moon in a quarter of the year when there were four full moons (normally a quarter year has three full moons). Names are given to each moon in a season: For example, the first moon of summer is called the early summer moon, the second is called the midsummer moon, and the last is called the late summer moon. When a season has four moons the third is called the blue moon so that the last can continue to be called the late moon.
The division of the year into quarters starts with the nominal vernal equinox on or around March 21.[6] This is close to the astronomical season but follows the Christian computus used for calculations of Easter, which places each equinox evenly between the summer and winter solstices to calculate seasons rather than using the actual equinox.
Some naming conventions keep the moon's seasonal name for its entire cycle, from its appearance as a new moon through the full moon to the next new moon. In this convention a blue moon starts with a new moon and continues until the next new moon starts the late season moon.
To calculate the moon names for the seasons using the appearance of the new moon:

1. Locate the new moons that are nearest to the solstices and equinoxes. These are the early season moons. Mark the new moons as follows: nearest December 21 – the early winter moon; nearest March 20 – the early spring moon; nearest June 20 – the early summer moon; nearest September 22 – the early fall moon. Note: This makes the full moon of that season about two weeks later, always after the 20th or 21st of the month.
  2. Locate the new moons following the early season moons marked above. Mark them as the mid season moons. For example, the new moon that follows the early winter moon is marked as the midwinter moon.
  3. Locate the new moons before the early season moons marked in step 1. Mark them as the late season moons of the previous season. For example, the new moon that precedes the early winter moon is the late fall moon.
  4. Locate all new moons that have not been marked either early, mid, or late moons. These are the blue moons.
Seasons are reversed in the southern hemisphere. Adjust the above instructions for your location.

So, with that out of the way, all those things you said you'd do once in a blue moon etc... now is the time to do them, or persuade your mates, wives, husbands etc to do them.. :lmao:

ps. Lets not tell anyone but it was a mistaken definition, that the second full moon in a calendar month is known as a blue moon, became common in parts of the U.S. during the second half of the twentieth century due to a misinterpretation of the Maine Farmers' Almanac in the March 1946 Sky & Telescope magazine; this was corrected in 1999.

Cheers,

Jan 2, 2009
Finland
nothing to do with blue moons. but what is that picture you are using next to your name i can't work it out, and it bugs me. (that i can't work out what it is). happy new year.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Let me put you outta yer misery..Its a cat laying down done in mirror image..Cover one half of it and tilt your head to one side.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE