TOM BROWN JNR

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
Ive just read one of his books and i dont know if i believe all that he says has anyone out there a view about this extraordinary man and his grandfather.

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
A work collegue sent me 2 of his books, and they are a good read. Bare in mind that thet are based on having no tools and they make sence. As for his "grandfather", I was under the impression he was a friend who happened to be a native Americam.

Simon

nameless

Forager
Jan 1, 2004
at home
From what i read rick was stalkings wolfs nephew and stalking wolf travelled around its been a while since i read it but i think he moved between pine barrens where rick lived and tom to an indian reserve and i think that the term grandfather was just the way he saw stalking wolf in his life :wink: i hope im right sombody correct me if im wrong.

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
I`m not too concerned about who was whos relation or where it happened i was more concerned about whether the accounts should be believed. As Tom Browm runs a survival/tracker school i was wondering, has anyone met him or been on a course with him.
I think the native American ideas expounded, lived and taught to by Mr Brown, that you can get everything you require for survival from the land you`re in, without taking any equipment, food, shelter, clothes and that after the first few days you are no longer surviving but living well , is surely an aspiration for us all.

nameless

Forager
Jan 1, 2004
at home
in the end i think even if tom was taught by an indian or not he is sure one hell of a tracker! who cares where he got his skills from he has them and is teaching new people. look at anthonio i think he spent time with tom im hoping to do one of his courses and im learning from anthonio who learnt from tom! i really do hope im right so as not to be offending anybody

Yeah, I went to a lot of Tom's courses, and though I was slightly sceptic at first, I found Tom is as true as his words. A lot of Tom's more recent history (Last 25 years or so) is actually quite proven by newspaper articles over the years. He is indeed a brilliant tracker. On the Standard Class (A prerequisite to nearly every other class) Tom challenges everybody to go out at night, camo up, and then stalk to ultimately touch a deer. If anyone managed to touch a deer, they would get a class for free. There were many people who claimed they managed. But Tom just followed these folks tracks, and was able to tell exactly how close they got, and that nobody truly did touch any deer that week. The good thing, is that he doesn't just tell you where are track is, he actually helps everyone patiently to see what he sees. Even on gravel and concrete!
I believe one of Toms best skills is the skill to teach. There is no way you can sit in a course and drift off while he is talking. You can only be totally engrossed.
One important thing, which sometimes dissapoints people who go to his courses:
Tom is a human being, and has his difficulties in life just like the rest of us. He is in no way perfect, and he's the first one to point that out to people attending his courses. He smokes like a chimney, has been divorced and remarried, dries a big car (As all Americans do), etc,...
The tracker was his first (And most famous) book. As soon as you get into the first course, Tom states: "The tracker you read about in that book is dead. I don't live that ideal life anymore. I now live to teach! If you came here to see "the Tracker" as described in this first book, you can leave now, and I'll give you all your money back!"
Tom also says regularly: " I am not a guru. Do not follow what I tell you, just because I tell you!! Try everything I teach you for yourself, and prove me right, or prove me wrong! I am not a leader, I am but a signpost and a tattered one at that, pointing you in a direction. You have to find your own path in life!"

Now, sorry about blabbing on,... but I'd like to reply to one of the earlier posts:
Stalking Wolf is indeed not Tom's grandfather. In Apache custom, Elders, or teachers were refered to as Grandfather. This is purely a respectfull title.
Stalking Wolf, is however, Ricks blood grandfather. Rick was Tom's best friend. (Till he died of a horseriding accident in Spain) Grandfather NEVER lived on a reservation. He roamed the land and never lived in a house. When he was not teaching Tom and Rick, he would be roaming over the land, visiting old friends, or visiting people that needed a natural healer.

Hope this clarifies things a bit!

I am always available for more questions, and I will monitor this post to answer any replies.

Many regards,

Anthonio

P.S. Tom has been over here a few times by invitation of the BBC. He was here October 2002 to track wild cats in Wales for the BBC (Turned out to be a puma, which to date, is still roaming free)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE