Today was Dandelion Picking Day!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
For those who didn't realize it, today was dandelion picking day , also known as St George's Day. :)

St George's day is the traditional day to pick dandelion flowers for wine making. This is because the flowers are at their optimum at this time period, soon they will go to seed.

To get you started here is a recipe

# 3 qts dandelion flowers
# 1 lb golden raisins
# 1 gallon water
# 3 lbs granulated sugar
# 2 lemons
# 1 orange
# wine yeast and nutrient

Use only the flower petals for best results. If you can't be bothered make sure that you get rid of the stalks.

Leave them spread out for a while so all the bugs can crawl out of them.

Boil some of the water you are going to use and throw in the petals with the sugar and rind of the orange and lemons (making sure there's no pith).

Squeeze in the juice of the fruits and the raisins (or sultanas). Top up the liquid to fill a demijohn and when it has cooled add the yeast and nutrients.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Good info Rebel, dandelion makes a superb wine. Infact it was the first drink I ever got drunk on, 1977 at a Silver Jubilee bash on the village green...
Think they need to move dandelion picking day back a bit though, took this shot last sunday....
dandelionseedheadSmall.jpg

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Where I live they are in full bloom right now but it has been unseasonally warm.

Excellent weather for picking the flowers though as they are fully open and dry.

I was surprised by how good dandelion wine is and picking the flowers is a fun family activity.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE