To bivvy bag oir not to bivvy bag? - that is the question.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wihglah

Apr 23, 2017
Northamptonshire
I am considering getting a Gore-Tex bivvy bag - probably an ex army one from evil-bay.

What can I expect from it - how much warmer will I be? Will it cause condensation? Are they heavy? What's the pack size? and how wide are they at the feet (mummy style or square?)

thx in advance.

Last edited:

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Expect an awesome workout, with no zipper wriggling in or out of them in a hurry takes some practice.

Generally it adds another 'season' rating or roughly 5 degrees centigrade to the sleeping bags lower comfort range.
It will allow some moisture out but if you're sweating or breathing inside the bivvy then your sleeping bag will soak it up causing unpleasantness.

Slightly narrower at feet but essentially square

Weight not light at about 879 grams (possibly less, haven't brushed the mud off mine from last trip yet)

Packed size... 300x100mm diameter is achievable after several attempts with some grunting

On the plus side.
A dry dos bag is not a luxury, it's an essential and a bivvy bag gives you peace of mind when under a tarp in winter/wet conditions.
Functions as a pack liner for the sleeping bag, spare clothes, batteries, cameras etc basically anything that has to stay dry.
Alternatively packed/carried folded it can be used as a sitting/kneeling pad
May even work as a camp chair but not got around to trying that yet

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
I was going to go for one of the British milsurp ones in your OP, but soon realised that 1) the weight 2) the lack of side entry (hence the workout and wriggling noted by Bishop) 3) the lack of insect cover just meant that it would be relegated to emergency use only. But even then its weight meant I'd rarely carry it, so I decided against purchasing it.

If I do ever get a proper bivi (thread here on my thought processes for going for a different set-up) then it'll be a Rab Alpine bivi in eVent for its greater breathability compared to Goretex. But they go for multiple times the price of the British milsurp one, so in a totally different bracket. Something closer to the British one in price could be the Dutch army single hoop bivi? There are some useful threads on here about them. They seem to go for 60-150, depending on the manufacturer (Carinthia ones fetching the highest compared to the other OEMs). One of the other OEM's non-Goretex ones just sold this evening for 60, and it had a big old blood stain in the middle of it.

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Other than price i cant see a reason anyone would choose a british army bivvy. They manage to make all the downsides things about bivvying worse while negating the few plus points :D

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Over twenty years, of issue bivvy bags throughout the seasons, have taught me to enjoy the outdoors. With a basha it makes a ideal light form of dry sleeping.
I like the issue one due to its sheer opening size, it weight is offset by the size of my sleeping bag. It works

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Over twenty years, of issue bivvy bags throughout the seasons, have taught me to enjoy the outdoors. With a basha it makes a ideal light form of dry sleeping.
I like the issue one due to its sheer opening size, it weight is offset by the size of my sleeping bag. It works

Issue basha too? Best part of 2kg for a bivvy and tarp isnt ideal or light these days really

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Nothing wrong with the issue bivvy or basha. Some on here might remember the days of 58 pattern and an old poncho, that was fun.

Keep the bag in the bivvy then compress it down into the bottom of your pack, all other kit in a dry bag on top. When sleeping, sleep with your feet in the top of the pack, keeps it well covered by the basha. I always use a bivvy, even in a tent, it keeps the bag clean and adds warmth.

For dry bags go with ortlieb for the main bag. Then break kit down into smaller colour coded drybags to find it easily. I like exped bags for this, one colour for rations, one for spare clothes, one for first aid and admin kit etc..

If your worried about midges just wear a net on your head at night, you'll get bit during the day anyway when your walking about, cooking etc..

Tonyuk

Last edited:

Buck

Mar 25, 2013
Cambs
Nothing wrong with the issue bivvy or basha. Some on here might remember the days of 58 pattern and an old poncho,

Tonyuk

Oh God yes, many night angry camping with that combo. Never had a doss bag with more than three feathers either.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I normally have my sleeping bag in a rab bivvy bag (which is also my survival bag as it's light weight enough) to keep the sleeping bag dry when under the basha. If out in winter, an issue bivvy bag is worth the extra bulk and weight though as oh so comfy when you wiggled your way down to the foot end! :)

Wihglah

Apr 23, 2017
Northamptonshire
Thx for the replies, I think the army surplus one will suit me fine for adding a season to my 2-3 season bag and keep the wind out whilst I am under the tarp. For the moment weight isn't a big issue. If it becomes one I suspect the best way to go will be a small tent and a better bag.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I am considering getting a Gore-Tex bivvy bag - probably an ex army one from evil-bay.

What can I expect from it - how much warmer will I be? Will it cause condensation? Are they heavy? What's the pack size? and how wide are they at the feet (mummy style or square?)

Not warmer, you'll be exposed to the wind etc... While the wind won't cut through the goretex to your skin, it does have some cooling effect. Expecting a bivvi bag to make your sleeping bag warmer is a bit foolish.

Condensation depends on how you use it. On a still night, when it's warm (think summers evening), then you'll get condensation as there isn't enough of a temperature and humidity gradient for the goretex to work. At -18°C or below, then it won't work. Between these two points your milage will vary. I've not had condensation when using the issue bag properly. Before I understood what I was doing, I did have a lot of condensation one night when I used it inside a tent.

Weight: Very heavy, if you want similar performance but lighter weight, get the Alpkit Hunka or Hunka XL

Packsize - Mine fits in an 8litre dry bag. I once managed to get it to fit in a PLCE utility pouch, but I don't think it does it any good. The alpkit hunka and hunka xl are both much smaller.

The overall shape of the issue bag is mummy shape, but the foot box is quite squareish and roomy. I can usually fit my backpack down there and myself fit in the bag (I'm 1.7m tall and use my sleep mat outside the bag).

Hope this helps.

J

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Re entry, there are 2 versions of the issue bag, the normal one, and the XL one, the difference is the XL one has an extra triangle of fabric in the top half, which makes getting in and out *A LOT* easier. I have this one, and it means I can almost sit up in the bag's entrance. Certainly makes getting my ample chest into the bag a lot easier.

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE