Tipi Pattern

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
I am going to make a riptsop Tipi by hand.
I've seen loads of different sized ones on the market and know how big mine will be. I'm a dab hand at stitching as i made costumes and armour for nigh on 13 years.

What i'm missing is a pattern. Anyone know of anywhere that has one perchance?

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Go for it fella I for one will be very interested in seeing the end result, are you going to do a tutorial?. Good luck.

Simon.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Once i get started i'll take photos, and do a step by step on what i do and how.

I'll be starting it in a couple of weeks and have the general jist of what needs doing :)

This will be the first major thing i've made in donkeys years so it'll be interesting to see how i screw up. If anyone has any tips i'll be more than happy to listen.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Sorry mate - I sold my book on tipis, which was full of various tribal patterns - but the good news is I SOLD IT TO ANOTHER USER OF THIS SITE - they may be able to help...if they see this thread...if I could remember who bought it...

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Have you had a good long search? I seem to recall a lot of info about various patterns for tipis, there may of been an external site link aswell that was very good if I remember correctly.

I would search aswell, but I am about to turn in as i need to be up early. Maybe I can look tomorrow evening.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I have the Lauben's book on tipis. I'll copy one of the patterns for you if you let me know how wide the material is you'll be using. There are various patterns in the book and they cater for different fabric widths.

Eric

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Buy a pack of dairy lee....

Sorry, very poor humor :rolleyes:

Seriously though, my Moscosel kata is a very simple pattern, I will be very happy to measure bits for you if its the sort of shape your intersed in. (its and aaran 5).

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
The big thing to remember with any tipi pattern is that you are not dealing with a true half-circle. A true half-circle will set up as a perfect straight up cone. A tipi is a tilted cone. The back is shorter/steeper, while the front (where you lace/pin it together and the door is) is longer and not as steeply slanted. This allows you to have a fire in the center of it, and not have it directly under where the poles tie together. So you draw out your true half-circle, and then the long straight front is cut back a foot or two (depending upon the overal size of your tipi).

Laubin's book The Indian Tipi is one of the best out there. And it has a number of patterns in it. W. Ben Hunt's book The Complete How-To Book of Indiancraft also has a pattern, but it tends to be too much of a straight up cone instead of a tilted cone.

You won't go wrong with Laubin's book. It has a lot of good information in it - especially about using/living in a tipi.

Just some humble thoughts to share. Take them as such.

Mikey - who used a tipi for several years - out here in the Hinterlands

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi,
Like yourself i thought about making a tipi like the tentipi. I had a look at the golite , bison ,with some thoughts in my head and a few drawings i made a scaled down pattern to see what the outcome would be. I made this from ripstop nylon with rolled seams no zip or webbing straps. I'm happy with the outcome of my model so hopefully over the winter months i will make one to full size with all webbing and zip in place.
Topknot.

img0623pg8.jpg

img0624ue6.jpg

img0625fn9.jpg

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Thats great Topknot thats exactly the type i'm wanting to make.! I never thought about making a model one first to see the logistics behind it.
Did you use a sewing machine or hand stitched?
Any chance of the measurements if poss please?

I'm still unsure about having a top flap for an internal fire though. to put hte webbing straps for pegs on the inside or outside and have webbing strapping at the top or just a ring...

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The one I saw was made form canvas, the seams were horizontal and lapped so that water ran down, dripped over the lip onto the next section of canvas. There is no way the seams can leak. I'll take a quick look and see if I can find it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE