****ting in a bush

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

DarkHorse

:rolleyes:

Whats the general procedure?

I figured take a trowel and dig a little hole so I can cover it up with soil. Is it ok to bury ma poop and regular toilet paper that way?

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
some may say you need to bring out the paper too (or burn it , but not on the cooking fire lol) and mark the site with a dated stick,...

the crap is actually broken down faster on the surface in the leaf litter as there are more creatures to feast upon it here, even earthworms will process it from underneath,..

but i would hate a happless shcrafter to happen upon it ,...so yeah burying is ok,...

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
some may say you need to bring out the paper too (or burn it , but not on the cooking fire lol) and mark the site with a dated stick,...

the crap is actually broken down faster on the surface in the leaf litter as there are more creatures to feast upon it here, even earthworms will process it from underneath,..

but i would hate a happless shcrafter to happen upon it ,...so yeah burying is ok,...

heheh they band surface deification on military land cause it got to the stage where people would just go bear style in the woods, then you'd do a platoon attack or some such and end up elbow deep in it! now there are portaloos everywhere!

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
bear style!! hahahaha

what,? like throwing yourself out of a helicopter, having a poo, use it as sunscreen, then run about looking for some camel water to wash it off with?

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
bear style!! hahahaha

what,? like throwing yourself out of a helicopter, having a poo, use it as sunscreen, then run about looking for some camel water to wash it off with?

heheh i meant a REAL bear.... i would never refer to Grylls as BEAR! his name is Edward!

Last edited by a moderator:

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Burying it well away from a water source and also where people are likely to set up camp or stop for lunch .
the amount of times i have found unwanted pressies in bothies , behind walls or under shelter stones up mountains .:nono:

You could bag it and stick it in your mates rucksack :eek:

Craig.............

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
Burying it well away from a water source and also where people are likely to set up camp or stop for lunch .
the amount of times i have found unwanted pressies in bothies , behind walls or under shelter stones up mountains .:nono:

You could bag it and stick it in your mates rucksack :eek:

Craig.............

mates rucksack makes the bag and tag method much more pleasant....

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A real bushcrafter doesn't use toilet paper. Leaves are everywhere, just don't get the poison oak or poison ivy.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
hahaha what about dragging yourself thru the leaf litter with your hands while holding you feet in the air ,....

childish i know, but i still laugh like mad whenever i see the dogs do this,.....

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
hahaha what about dragging yourself thru the leaf litter with your hands while holding you feet in the air ,....

childish i know, but i still laugh like mad whenever i see the dogs do this,.....

hehe doing "the dog" is only for real desperation or marathon runners who need a quick exit strategy!

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I remember hearing that you should only bury it in the top 6" of soil because that is the active layer and will break it down whereas if you bury it lower down it might take a lot longer :)
Have a designated toilet area, dig a hole at the most 6" down, do your stuff, burn the toilet paper afterwards, cover it up and then plant a stick upright so that no one digs down in that area again otherwise they will get a dirty spade :)

bearbait

You could take a look at the Leave No Trace Principles. Or maybe Kathleen Meyer's book How To Sh*t In The Woods, available from Amazon or perhaps borrowed from one of the good folks here on BCUK

In deep snow I suggest you take a poop kit with you and pack out your scooped poop, unless you want to dig down through 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 feet or more of snow to get to the ground. The other thing is that in deep snow you can't be sure that you're burying your poop 200 feet or more from a watercourse (unless your nav is spot on!).

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE