timepiece

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Thanks again everyone,

I've opted for the traser 6508. I'll let you know what it's like when it arrives.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

Kim

Nice one mate, am sure you'll be pleased with it. For all they are very lightweight, they're still very tough. I swapped out the nylon NATO strap that mine came with for a velcro wrap-around Animal one. Guarantee that the first night you get it you'll be trying to find the darkest spot around your house to see the trasers :D

Thanks again everyone,

I've opted for the traser 6508. I'll let you know what it's like when it arrives.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

Kim

good choice ive had a trazer for a few years now and still not marked the class :eek: which normally gets a sctatch after a couple of weeks

had the battry replaced last year luckly the Trazer importer and watchsmith is only down the road nice guy in the back of his garage :D new battery full strip and clean plus full pressure tests important to me as im a diver and i use it under water

oh be carfull and take it off before you go to bed or you will wake your self up with the light output :eek: :cool: once your eyes are acustomed you an read with it ...just

its teh only watch iv found you can read in any light conditones and supurb in murky british water

ATB

Duncan

Emma

Forager
Nov 29, 2004
Hampshire/Sussex
I have an old basic Casio watch I got second-hand and ready-battered from eBay several years ago for about £4. It's definitely water resistant, boot resistant and scratches don't make themselves obvious. Hasn't broken down yet, though has gone a bit wobbly once or twice. Hasn't needed a battery replacement either. Who needs to carry a brick on their wrist? :)

ddokkum

Forager
Feb 16, 2007
The Netherlands
I recently bought a newer version of the Casio PRG 40 and now i have bought the Casio PRG 80. It measures altitude, baro, and has a compass.

prg80yt_large.jpg

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
After breaking my last two Timex Expedition watches I bought a new outdoors watch just a couple of weeks ago. The adjustment knobs on the last one used to catch on things and the watch would adjust itself to the wrong time. Finally the hands fell off it just before Christmas and the strap broke so I reckoned it was time for something new.

Over the years I've noticed different problems with different types of watches when it comes to expecting rugged use out of them, so many that I've been considering writing up a little review type thing of what to look for in a watch and what to look out for. Not because I'm a watch expert (I'm not) but because I've got through so many of them.

I know that the original poster Kimbo has already bought a watch, but I thought I'd add my two cents worth to the discussion. I know there are different tastes in style but there are certain features that make a watch more rugged than others. There's also the question of price, if it costs a lot you don't want to risk breaking it out in the woods, if it's too cheap then it might not be resistant to shocks, water and scratches.

I looked at "tactical" watches, military watches and such like and many of them seemed to be more of a collectible or image concious watch than a practical reasonably priced outdoor piece of kit. Many "outdoor" watches seemed to be aimed at divers and yachtsmen and cost more than I'd be willing to spend on something that might find itself getting scraped against the side of a tree or a wall (actually they cost more than I can afford too so that's the end of the story for me :rolleyes:).

Anyway after trawling the Internet looking at watches (which I'm not normally very interested in except as a tool that I wear on my wrist), I decided to get a G-Shock. They might not be to everybody's taste but they are specifically marketed to be resistant to mud, water and shocks - just the type of thing you might find when you are out bushcrafting.

http://www.g-shock.de/euro/lineup/

This is the model I bought because I liked the design and the cloth strap especially but they all seem to be similar in terms of suitability for outdoor use.

CasioAW-591MS-1ADR-2.jpg

I have to admit that I have a hard time seeing the little digital readout bits (my eyes aren't what they used to be) but I don't use them much anyway. The strap is really comfortable and the analogue time is easy to read. It glows in the dark and has a back light too, as do all of the G-Shock analogue models. The digital ones all have a back light.

It has a recessed face, which is important for protecting it against scuffs and scrapes. A raised face can be cracked in just a few weeks and scratched up in no time. The buttons are tucked away so they can't be accidentally activated and they are the push type so they won't get caught on things and pulled out (like the other type tend to do).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE