Ticks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mauro

Aug 4, 2004
Cambridgeshire, UK
Well, as I started the thread on chiggers, seems quite right to start the one about ticks.

Last weekend I spent the night in the forest (norfolk area, UK). After breakfast we went for a walk. Having found a nice patch of grass we laid down to be wormed by the morning sun. I did notice some fern laid on the ground, but I ignored them!

big mistake, I should have inspected the terrain more accurately!!! Some dear must have being laying there before us! result: 3 of us shared about 12 ticks!!! :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Now we are all fine (even though one infected and my son had a big red spot for a few days, which is now going away) but it was not nice.

Anyway, if i learn something from this story:
- alway check were you sit. Hairy-four-legged-bush-dwelling creature may like the same spots as us!
- Take a tarp to put on the ground (I'll attach one outside my back pack)
- dress appropriately (the weather is cooling down, so it won't be difficult!)

enjoy

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
I've got a big, slightly swollen red spot on my ankle from where I removed one of the wee beggars about a week and a half ago. Still debating whether or not to go to the Doctor as I often take worse than may be expected reactions to bites and it's right on the collar of my boot, which means it constantly gets rubbed.
If it hasn't disappered by the weekend I may go and have it looked at.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Great Pebble said:
I've got a big, slightly swollen red spot on my ankle from where I removed one of the wee beggars about a week and a half ago. Still debating whether or not to go to the Doctor as I often take worse than may be expected reactions to bites and it's right on the collar of my boot, which means it constantly gets rubbed.
If it hasn't disappered by the weekend I may go and have it looked at.
Is that a red spot you have or a red ring? If it is a red ring you should seek medical attention soon as this is a sign of Lyme's Disease. A red spot is to be expected and less worrying.

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Haven't tried anything on it yet, it's just slightly itchy. I'm one of these people that tries to avoid any form of medication unless I really need it. Might gine the essential oil a go though.

Thanks for the tip.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Mauro said:
Having found a nice patch of grass we laid down to be wormed by the morning sun.

:eek:):

As an aside, you can pick ticks up from sheep infested areas (most any other animal really). I find places with bracken to be the worst, but that's likely just because the vegatation is higher.

When a tick gets onto your body, it will usually move to warm moist areas on your body. Once there, it will dig into your skin so it can feed itself on blood. After about 12 hours (sometimes a lot longer) the tick will release itself from your skin by injecting it’s saliva to dissolve the tissue around the bite. (Ticks are literally stuck with barbs into your skin). It is this saliva which can contain a number of different bacteria or virusses.
If Lymes disease has been contracted you may or may not find a “bulls-eye” like rask which is usually not itchy. Early on you may feel flu-ish. If the infection spreads, it can affect the heart, nervous system and joints. Early symptoms may be rashes, headache, stiff neck and sore joints. Fever and muscle aches are also common. If untreated, these symptoms could go on to affect your short-term memory and ultimately be fatal. The only way to prevent these symptoms developing is to be treated with antibiotics as soon as possible. There is no vaccine yet.
Because Lymes disease is transmitted through the tick’s saliva, it’s best to remove a tick as soon as it’s spotted and not leave it till it comes out by itself. (In some high-risk areas it’s best to check for ticks every 12 hours). For this reason, you want to be sure the tick is removed before it wants to remove itself. Putting on petroleum jelly to ‘choke it to death’ as some people suggest or burning it off with a cigarette, will only encourage the tick to try and get out by itself, thus injecting saliva. It is best to grab the tick with a pair of tweezers and pull it straight out before the tick realizes it’s being assaulted. Also, try and remove the whole tick. After you have removed the tick, clean thoroughly with an antiseptic wipe and try and remember where the bite was so you can identify any problems that may occur at a later date. In most areas in the world, a low percentage of ticks carry Lymes disease, but in some parts of the United States, as much as one-third of ticks may contain Lymes.However, if you check for ticks regularly and remove them properly, there is really nothing to worry about. Even in the case of contracting Lymes it is easy enough treated if the disease has not advanced too far.

Hope this helps

Anthonio

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I was told recently never to put petroleum jelly or anything that may suffercate it onto a tick which apprently encourages the tick to vomit its stomach contents into the wound it has made,this makes the likelyhood of it passing lymes on to its victim much greater as you can imagine.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i think your getting the processes wrong way round there mate.. i though it was if you tryed to pull it off it dug its head in and vomited.. if you suffercate if before you try and pull if off then this doesnt happen..

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
tomtom said:
i think your getting the processes wrong way round there mate.. i though it was if you tryed to pull it off it dug its head in and vomited.. if you suffercate if before you try and pull if off then this doesnt happen..
No,iam getting it the right way round.Well atleast that was what i was told anyway.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
For ticks that have been attached for 0 - 18 hours, the basic advice seems to be to carefully pluck them off with tweezers. After that, and you have to take a chance. Here in Wales I've not heard of any reports of Lymes Disease so I'd happily pull any I picked up after 24 hours. However, if you life in a Lymes prone area and find a tick that you think has been attached for more than 18 hours an you can seek medical advice, then you migth want to consider doing so. If you ask if I would, then probably not, I'd keep an eye on the bite for a few weeks (off and on, not obsessive like!) and watch out for a red ring to form around it - diagnostic of Lymes. Likewise, if I came down with a flu-like feeling soon after, I'd mention it to the doc.

Info at: http://www.healthnewsflash.com/conditions/lyme_disease.php

Jon

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 28, 2003
England, half way down
I've heard it is a good idea to keep any tick that you remove. Then if later Lymes Disease is suspected the tick itself can be tested. As far as I recall keeping them in a screw top jar with a piece of damp paper seemed to be the recomendation. Also label the jar and date it.

Elliott

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2004
Dorset
I am no authority on tick removal, but I can say that I was bitten for the first time ever by a tick over the August bank holiday. I did not see it but it must of been on for moments only (on my left upper arm) and I probably knocked it off with my rucksack. Anyhow you guessed it I developed Lymes Disease, not pleasant and I am only just over it now. The point here is that it was not attached for long.

The grating issue about this whole episode is that the day before I was bitten we had visited the vets with our two cats and I thought it would be useful to get one of those tick removal implements as our children had started coming out more frequently on country walks.

Moral of the story : If anything horrible is going to happen it is bound to be to me (natural selection and the weakest link spring to mind) :?:

Elliott

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Bushcrafting & ticks seem to go together like bread & butter in my haunts at least :shock:
Dressing properly helps, long trousers and canvas gaiter works well, as do long sleeves. I don't sleep on the ground, prefering to use a hammock if possible. But evetually I still manage to find they have pentrated my defences :?: , and you find them, in the pit on the back of your knee, your armpit, even on the scrotom(?) :yikes:
Removing the ticks cleanly is vital if you are to avoid the nasty health hazards that go with them.
After talking to a local vet, he sold me a little tool for safely removing the little ******s called an OTOM for £1.50 or so. This bit of kit removes them in tact, jaws, head and stomach contents all where they should be, on them and not in me :lol:
The Trackertrail web-site has some good information on the hazards of ticks and there is a thread on here to with more info on the OTOM.
Hope this is of some help.
Neil

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I check myself every evening (when outside) and if I find one, it gets pullen out by the SAK tweezers. They're superb for that, well at least the small ones. :wink:

Emma

Forager
Nov 29, 2004
Hampshire/Sussex
The first and as yet only time I've had a tick, I didn't really know what to do about it, so I left it, but as it was on an exposed bit of skin it got sprayed with deet. It shrivelled up and turned a lighter shade of brown after a few hours, and about two days later dropped off.
I haven't found anything on using deet but I doubt it's a good idea... what do you guys think?

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Emma said:
The first and as yet only time I've had a tick, I didn't really know what to do about it, so I left it, but as it was on an exposed bit of skin it got sprayed with deet. It shrivelled up and turned a lighter shade of brown after a few hours, and about two days later dropped off.
I haven't found anything on using deet but I doubt it's a good idea... what do you guys think?

It most probably shrivelled up and changed colour as it digested your blood. :shock: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: and then dropped off when it was done.
How the hell did you manage to resist knocking it off !!!

Cheers,

martin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE