Tick removal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
The conversation about keeping ticks got me thinking about ticks! I removed one from a friend's Dog the other day and caught myself thinking 'Rotate or not rotate?' The general consensus these days seems to be not to rotate, but to gently pull straight out, but on some packaging for tick removal tools there are still instructions to twist/rotate. Is this tool specific, or do both ways work fine, or is it just outdated instruction?
Any thoughts? I imagine there's a few of you that are very familiar with this subject...

61GdXBnjrfL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
My present way of dealing with them is first kill it with something like turpentine or tee tree oil then take a grip as deep as possible and slowly pull out.

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
It was explained to me that a tick has three moving parts to its jaw and rotating it forces it to release its hold. I’ve been using tick tools similar to those in the OP’s photograph for some years on everything from dogs to hedgehogs and I will probably continue to rotate the ticks to force them to release. Some years ago on a different forum a well respected member of this forum recommended that if you’re bitten by a tick you should retain the tick for identification or testing if possible, taping it into a pocket book or small zip lock bag. Testing for Lyme disease in humans is rather hit and miss so it’s probably better to take the course of antibiotics if offered it. Tick bites should be be reported to your GP within 24 hours, there is only really a 48hour window to begin treatment and even though it’s only a tiny bite it should be treated as an emergency. Lyme disease can have life altering consequences. It makes a huge difference where about in the country you are bitten, certain bacterial infections are more prevalent in different places.

Reactions: MrEd

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The thing you need to avoid is regurgitation. If you mess up the tick can eject the contents if it's stomach I once read. If it's carrying the nasties that cause Lymes disease that's how you'll likely catch it. I believe it's better to remove the tick quickly and first attempt.

I also read twisting it a certain way removes the mouth parts in your skin easier. Something about twisted mouthparts. We pull. The tick then tugs at the skin and there's a resistance to overcome.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
So, it seems that you remove it in different ways depending on the tool you're using, tweezers, hair, floss etc gently pull straight up, tick removal tool is a twist (follow instructions), that sort of makes more sense now...

Reactions: Ystranc

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I read under stress they regurgitate. One tip I used to hear was toothpaste made them release. I also read that toothpaste and other stuff used for the same thing actually made it regurgitate before releasing. How do you know that your method of killing does so quick enough to stop regurgitation?

Reactions: Ystranc and ESpy

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
I have found that, working with kids (Scouts), the plastic type don't always give a good grip on the tick. My current preferred tool is a metal tweezer-type with hooked ends. I think it came from Tiso's, but I'm not sure. To date I am a multiple tick ace with (touch wood) 100% success removing the beasties using the metal tool; I was not so successful with plastic gadgets as I found that they could bend or not grip the tick. It may just be that I was more inept with other styles.
Thanks for raising this issue, Tony: always worth reminding people.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Last edited:
Reactions: Ystranc

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The conversation about keeping ticks got me thinking about ticks! I removed one from a friend's Dog the other day and caught myself thinking 'Rotate or not rotate?' The general consensus these days seems to be not to rotate, but to gently pull straight out, but on some packaging for tick removal tools there are still instructions to twist/rotate. Is this tool specific, or do both ways work fine, or is it just outdated instruction?
Any thoughts? I imagine there's a few of you that are very familiar with this subject...

61GdXBnjrfL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
I would never, ever, attempt picking up the dice and rotating the balancer. Very foolish advice indeed. :D

I just get them in the tightest part of the tool and pull them. Mostly its the dog that gets them and she’s not keen on me picking them out, so whatever works really.

Reactions: MrEd

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
I would never, ever, attempt picking up the dice and rotating the balancer. Very foolish advice indeed. :D

I just get them in the tightest part of the tool and pull them. Mostly its the dog that gets them and she’s not keen on me picking them out, so whatever works really.

I guess you never know until in the heat of the moment when you have been "bitten by a scorpion"

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
This one I think you are referring to?

Edit: seems have a key ring pair too

Them in a SAK would be neat.

These look very handy, the keyring one could go with my keyring nail clippers :biggrin:

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
I have had the lifesystems tick tweezers for a good few years, as well as removing ticks they are excellent for removing splinters!

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
I am not sure off a human but my mate had a python a big one yup not a snake fan me or the wife lol (no rude jokes lol) so he asked my wife one day to hold a bag as he had a shop it was a money bag she things money until he goes to the car comes back with a large tank , yup puts the tank down puts stuff in then takes the bag off her and sure enough the snake puts it in the tank and let is settled for a few days but i noticed round the head near the jaw some larger sacles that moved , he rang his mate who said ticks and need to be removed so he asked his mate and was told hold the snake steady get a good grip and pull well have you tried that on a 5ft python it was not going ot play game at one point i left him to it and moved well clear as the snake went tight on his arm and raised the head in a strike mood lol yup coward i am with snakes , so put back i nthe tank rang the guy he said ok then rub each tick with some pure turps or vaseline the tick will then release it's grip , sure enough we coated 6 and the next day 6 ticks i nthe tank still alive we got them and in to the fire they went .
Not sure if it will work on humans but again i guess until your in the possison of havign a tick on you you will try anything if you do not have those tools , i am going to buy a few pairs some for the first aid box and some for the car pack

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
My best friend has just had to go to the doctors for tick removal from her stomach. Big red ring around this tiny tick.
Antibiotics straight away. Living here, ticks are a big problem, so the local doc is straight onto them. Doc said it was the 4th one at the surgery this week.
Scary! Had ot been on her back, living alone with no one to check her over, it could have been very bad for her.
Living alone, this is my fear too.

Reactions: Disabled Preppers

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
@Woody girl yes living alone can be hard like yo say no one to check you over and some ticks can be tiny , may be a full length mirror on a door in the bathroom or a room you feel ok to wander naked and then just shine a torch on the bdy and turn slowly hoping you spot the little 8uggers , but you do know if you say i live alone and can not check myself for ticks your going to get a few pervy replies lol , i remember the old days of online games and went in to a dominoes site to be treated like meat yup soon got wise .

I have just imported wink wink lots of creams and oinments from the good old USA as they get loads of stuff over the counter there no need for a doc but my reason is storage mainly in case of a grid down world down type but i wonder would the triple antibiotic creams be any good to just rub over after removal .

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
@Woody girl yes living alone can be hard like yo say no one to check you over and some ticks can be tiny , may be a full length mirror on a door in the bathroom or a room you feel ok to wander naked and then just shine a torch on the bdy and turn slowly hoping you spot the little 8uggers , but you do know if you say i live alone and can not check myself for ticks your going to get a few pervy replies lol , i remember the old days of online games and went in to a dominoes site to be treated like meat yup soon got wise .

I have just imported wink wink lots of creams and oinments from the good old USA as they get loads of stuff over the counter there no need for a doc but my reason is storage mainly in case of a grid down world down type but i wonder would the triple antibiotic creams be any good to just rub over after removal .

I'd say no to a topical cream. It just won't do it. Lyme gets into the blood, via the little blighters sucking your blood and regurgitating into your bloodstream, so you need proper heavy duty antibiotics.
Normal tick bite with no red ring probably just needs a good clean, and some savlon or similar at most.
Overuse of antibiotics is a problem causing resistance by not being strong enough for the job, over prescribing, or stopping the course before it's finished. America, and places like india have a big problem due to the easy availability and overuse and self prescribing. It's becoming a world wide problem.
I never use them unless they are prescribed. Heavy use also causes gut problems, as it kills all the good flora and fauna in your body, as well as all the bad, leaving you vunerable to all sorts of medical problems.
One thing I always recommend is to take high dose prebiotic and prebiotic after a course, things like kefir, live yoghurt, cider vinegar, and fermented foods such as kimchi and sauerkraut are great for putting it all back.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE