Thoughts and courses for next year

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
As usual cut paste add to list.

If the Moot is going to be longer a few thoughts for things that could be useful

Map reading- dont know about you lot but I am self taught so proper map reading could be useful.
Kids map reading with an simple orientering course game.

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
Map reading- dont know about you lot but I am self taught so proper map reading could be useful.
Kids map reading with an simple orientering course game.

Switch and myself were discussing doing this along with the usual ways of finding your way in the woods etc .. but personally I'm not sure I'd be confident sharing my skills with others (y'know, what with me being shy an all that!).

Scrumpy

Forager
Mar 18, 2008
Silverstone
www.predatorsport.co.uk
After a discussion with a few others and after watching George "make fire with just string" the idea was born "Beat the man", the man being the provider, Tesco's!
The gist is we all start in the main parachute in teams, each team has chosen a method to make fire, the more confident you are the harder the method your team chooses. The whistle blows and the chosen driver has to walk to his/her car, drive to Tesco's, buy some matches, drive back and make a fire, this should take around 45+ mins. Mean while the teams have gathered what they need from the woods and assembled back at the parachute to make the fire before the driver. Sounds easy but with a little rain even a kids team armed with a lighter would find it challenging.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
There could be a number of fire challenges - first to ember with .... bowdrill, fire plough, fire saw (some of those could be days, not minutes or seconds!)

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I was wondering if maybe we could do some shelter building courses next year. Obviously we cant hack the local woodland to peices, but maybe some precut wooden poles, and various small branches could be brought in, then people could assemble then disassemble shelters for another team/individual to build afterwards. That way we only use one set of resources.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I think Badger, Myself and Wayland may be doing a Pirate workshop for the kids which involves mapreading (searching for treasure with treasure maps and a compass) some art n craft too

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I think Badger, Myself and Wayland may be doing a Pirate workshop for the kids which involves mapreading (searching for treasure with treasure maps and a compass) some art n craft too

Can you make them walk the plank? :)

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London

When cleaning up the hangi I burried some silver coins for you to find, Tony will be able to furnish you with a map that has a big X on it. It's purely coincidentally that it's exactly where next years hangi will be ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE