Thick leather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Also The Identity Store will sell smaller pieces.

Bowstock do some.

There's also a few eBay suppliers selling smaller pieces.

Abbey Saddlery (for Sedgewicks) or Baker's of Colyton if you want the really classy stuff.

Geoff

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Tandy look useful - but I've realised I don't really have any idea of how to specify the leather I'd need for making, say, an axe mask.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Tandy do have a help section think its called 'buying leather' for ounce to mm ratios.

I posted this up a while back and as it might help here I'll bung it in ...

Hopefully, at some point, this will help someone.

Leather tends to be listed in one of two ways - in ounces or more recently', in millimeters.

The basis of a leather's thickness/weight is: 1oz is equal to 1/64" is equal to 0.39mm. For each ounce, leather thickens by this basic amount ~ so a 9oz leather will be 9/64"/3.57mm.

Most veg-tan leather will be quoted as being between weights ~ i.e 8 to 10oz / 3.2 to 4mm*. This slight variation in the thickness of a piece of leather is entirely normal.

* It stays in line with the basic measure as listed above - but there will always be the need for rounding of numbers.

Leatherweight_conversionchart_screencapture.png

' Well ... You get the jist :rolleyes: .

It might seem to be daft to have gone to the inch ~ but I've seen elephant leather :yikes: :rofl:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
That's very handy, decorum. I now know I'm after 3.5-4mm (or '9 ounce) leather. Can get bits on ebay now I know what I'm after.

If there are a couple of people on here who'd have a use for 2-3sqr ft of leather I'd consider ordering from Le Prevo and splitting it up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE