Thermarest repair advice?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
On the principle of "a Yorkshireman is a mean Scotsman", I don't want to shell out for a full Thermarest repair kit when all I need is some appropriate glue. Does anyone know if you can use bicycle type rubber glue on these? My mat is about 15 years old (looks similar to the new Basecamp model, but has a green top and brown underneath), a rectangular shape with the valve at one corner. The material is lifting slightly where the body of the valve is fixed (and a test in the bath has proved the source of the leak) so all I need to do is to glue the material down again.

Thanks

Geoff :)

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
The best thing I've found is a product called "Shoe Goo", makes an airtight seal and sticks to practically anything, and if used on a surface hole all you do is onece applied wet your finger and smooth it down, no patch needed.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Kristin Hostetter http://www.backpacker.com/gear/ask_kristin/advice in 'Don't Forget the Duct Tape' http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dont-Forget..._B001KMMIES_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1368449173&sr=1-2 is to use 'Seam Grip' http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mcnett-McNe...UTF8&qid=1368450719&sr=8-1&keywords=seam+grip (I got mine in Blacks), and do the following:

You should make sure the area is dry and clean (alcohol wipes are recommended), and undo the value (pressure inside the mat might force the adhesive to bubble if if the mats inflated), the sqirt a dollop of Seam Grip over the hole and let it dry overnight. Apparently you can put a few drops of water with the Seam Grip to quicken curing time, but if your at home (rather than making an emergency repair), probably best to just give it time.

For larger holes you can use a patch from Tear-Aid or Tenacious Tape (US makes, but I'm sure you can get them on the web), and then use the Seam Grip afterwards.

The book is a real bargain, particularly if you get it from the 'New and used' on Amazon. Her new book is pretty good, but it covers much the same thing, but with colour pictures.

If the repair doesn't work, then Alpkit have got mats for mostly around £40. My Thermarest is 11 years old, and is the slightly heavy but comfortable Classic, but Alpkit's are far cheaper than what I paid for mine (and I got it in the States, which was much cheaper than buying it here - in fact they are still 30% cheaper there).

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Is there not a warranty with Thermarests?
Had the best luck repairing my other mats with a bicycle puncture repair kit, very cheap.

jandude

Jan 11, 2013
Cambs
+1 for the shoe goo/rubber solution. Fixed a big (2 inch) rent in the seam of a different brand mat by flooding it with the stuff. The repair is still going strong after 15+ years. Just ensue you let it dry completely before pressurising the mat or you'll be back to square 1.

And dusting the finished repair with talc stops it sticking to itself/everything else afterwards

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE