There's no reason we can't be civilised

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
As a pedant, I would like to point out that "civilized" means belonging to the city....
I never want to be civilized but like the idea of my brew kit being handy like that!

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
But a pedant would know that it is the literal and original meaning...

The Chambers Dictionary of Etymology offers this:

civilize v. make civil, refine, polish. 1601, apparently borrowed from French 'civiliser'... It is possible that the Old French word was based upon Medieval Latin 'civilizare' - to consider a criminal action as a civil matter.

Then, just above it, the same tome suggests:

civil adj. Before 1387, in Trevisa's translation of Higden's "Polychronicon"; borrowed through Old French 'civil', and directly as a learned borrowing from Latin 'civilis' of or proper to a citizen, relating to private rights, state law, and public life, urbane in manner.

Although coming from 'civis' - citizen, which, in turn derived originally from association with the city, the meaning expanded to cover both state and territory.

Perhaps more intriguing, though totally unrelated, is the word that follows: clabber, meaning thick sour milk, from the Garlic 'clabar', meaning mud.

Gentlemen, I'm sorry: it has been a long day and, sadly for you, I found I had a little time on my hands...

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
Perhaps more intriguing, though totally unrelated, is the word that follows: clabber, meaning thick sour milk, from the Garlic 'clabar', meaning mud.

Must learn to speak Garlic...

The word is 'clábar', pronounced claw-ber.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

civilize v. make civil, refine, polish. 1601, apparently borrowed from French 'civiliser'... It is possible that the Old French word was based upon Medieval Latin 'civilizare' - to consider a criminal action as a civil matter.

Then, just above it, the same tome suggests:

civil adj. Before 1387, in Trevisa's translation of Higden's "Polychronicon"; borrowed through Old French 'civil', and directly as a learned borrowing from Latin 'civilis' of or proper to a citizen, relating to private rights, state law, and public life, urbane in manner.

Although coming from 'civis' - citizen, which, in turn derived originally from association with the city, the meaning expanded to cover both state and territory.

Gentlemen, I'm sorry: it has been a long day and, sadly for you, I found I had a little time on my hands...

Oh - I love a fellow pedant ... especially one with THE BIG BOOK:)
Etymology (and entymology) fascinates me - and I am still not civilised (or civilized) no matter which meaning you take:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE