Themarest. Worth it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
I'm going to be spending about 3 months working in remote areas in the National parks of western US, based in Flagstaff, AZ. Obviously I've been updating various bits of my kit for this, and I'm wondering about thermarests.

I've spent weeks in the past sleeping on a couple of the foam efforts with out issue, but the climates I'm going to is going to be significantly more varied sub zero to deserts in the summer. I'm wondering if it would be perhaps worth the investment.

thoughts?

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
yer, I think what ever I buy I'll get it in the states, just one less thing to pack. But, are they worth it anyway? Do they have any real benefits?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
My 3/4 thermarest is knocking on for 11 years old now and still as reliable as the day I got it. I might have been lucky so far but I've never had to patch it yet.

Definitely worth paying a little extra for quality.

The Aplkits are good too but I've only used the Fat Airic and you wouldn't want to lug one of those round the Arizona desert.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
If it's comfort you are looking for, why not have a gander at the Exped range of down filled inflating mats? Similar in price to Therm-a-Rest and lighter. Toddy loves hers.

cheers,

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
We have 2 ten years or more old and still going strong. They are well made and last. They are not significantly warmer than a foam mat but they ride over bumps where a foam mat you still feel what is underneath. Thermarest is not far off from sleeping in a bed.

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
Hi gregs656, that is a really great area you're headed to. Your foam pad will do just fine. Might be more comfy on a self-inflating mat for such an extended duration, but the lowly foam pad will handle any conditions in Arizona. I would say go with what you have, certain you could pick one up in Flagstaff if needed. There is lots to do on the Colorado Plateau, have a great time.:cool:
coloplat.gif

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Enjoy your trip. Flagstaff is lovely be sure to visit the Lowell observatory. Sedona is nice to the south. We drove up through the Monument Valley to Utah and Moab which is where we took a river trip on the Colorado. If your going to the Grand Canyon be sure to go for Sunrise its really worth the extra Effort.

You should have no issues with a normal roll mat but it can be cold higher up and out in the desert so make sure its a good one. For comfort though you wont beat a self inflating one. I would maybe buy it out there as it will be cheaper for sure.

hth.

Andy

A mate has used his for 20 plus years including several tours of Norway and sleeping on frozen lakes etc its still going strong but has an easier life now at RV's and Moots :D
he has recently bought the thermarest Z fold for UK hiking as its a lot faster to pack away

ive a few knock offs and the Fat Erics none pack very small and the Fat Eric is a car only option

ATB

Duncan

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I love my thermarest to bits, the first one lasted aaout 10 years but was used nearly every weekend and I wasn't overly fussy about clearing the area I laid it on.

Please bare in mind the US army did (probably still do) issue genuine Thermarests (saw loads one year at the big Beltring fair down in Kent for about 15 a pop) and the British army now has what seems a OK copy, " Mat, Sleeping, Thermal, Inflatable 8465-99-310-9203 Contract No. DC1aESL/0136" Its a 3/4 lenght design, I picked up one for the kids at the Army Stores in Leyland last month for about 20, as new. Theres some moaning on ARRSE abiout the valves breaking but it sounded like they would be fine for less robust use than being run over by a Warrior insome sandy place...

Anyroad, good surplus ones are available,

ATB

Tom

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
I have an Exped Down and yes its excellent but I would say not as robust as some self inflating mats. you would need to be careful arounf those cactii spines......lol you would not want to get let down (pardon the pun ) in the middle of no where!

alecf

Forager
Jun 7, 2009
Nr Reading
I'd definitely go for the 3/4 length if your carrying it. Saves a lot of space and I've never really wanted the extra length, infact when other people have had longer ones they just become too long and get annoying in smaller tents.

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
I've seen the US issue ones, did think about picking one up but if I can pick one up new over there for less money and not have to pack it out I probably won't bother. 3/4 length would probably be what I would get yer.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
Thermarests are a god send, whatever the environment great in hot or cold climes, yes you have to be careful if loads of idiots have sharp things about in snow shelters, but most people put their kit away pretty sharpish in those places as most guys use thermarests then :)

By the way when I use thermarest name I mean any type of proper self inflating mat, Mountain equipment make some really good ones as well as alpkit and quite a few others, they help to protect you from the ground shape as well as giving a lot better insulation qualities than closed foam mats. Care should still be taken to check the ground under a mat for sharp stones or pointy sticks as a hole in one is not a good idea, but can be easily fixed with black nasty tape (strong duct tape) or the patches and superglue. :)

iano

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2010
Wales
Instead of buying a new pricey thermarest you could always do what I did and go to UK Kitmonster website and buy the British Army one they produced for Herrick and Iraq for a lot less, 3/4 length and comes in muted brown as well as green if you want to be slightly less militant looking... I've not used a thermarest brand mat but I'm very happy with the MoD substitute. Don't blow into the valve let it inflate naturally as I've heard inflatable mats may be prone to degrading inside if you get moisture into them.

Also I'm not sure it is better in all environments than a foam pad, have you seen the volcanic lava-y bits and black deserts in Iceland? Lots of sharp stony bits to puncture an inflatable mat. Could put it inside your bivvybag but then you'd presumably just puncture the goretex instead :/ Foam mats would win here I think, not bivvied out there yet but I'll let you know once I do ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE