Theatrical carving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I was asked to produce a carved wooden figure as a prop for our theartres next performance of "The Exorscism" (no not the Exorcist!)and the brief was
"'a small African carved figure, a woman giving birth to a child. It is ugly, distorted, both woman and emerging child have agonized expressions on their faces"

This is what I managed to produce from 4 bits of fencepost PVAed together, using (amongst other tools and a lot of swearing and lusting after propper carving chisles) -a GFB SFA, mora knives (various), folding saw and sand paper on a Dremel clone.
The Pine was stained with my homemade Oak-gall stain and finished with teak oil.
She measures aprox 8"x 8" x8" max.
This chic hit every branch as she fell out of the ugly tree.....
DSCF4113-1.jpg

DSCF4116-1.jpg

DSCF4117.jpg

She ugly - dam - she UGLY :yikes:- but I love her!:eek:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Having been through natural childbirth, trust me on this, it's not aesthetically beautiful :rolleyes: It's messy, it's sore, it's emotional, it's visceral, it's gutteral.....and you're little carving isn't ugly :) it's really kind of beautiful in it's extremis.

atb,
Mary

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ugly yes

supernaturally ugly, no....not as some authentic ethnic carvings I have seen

its a nice bit of work anyway

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
I must partially disagree with Toddy, having also been through natural childbirth myself, I thought the whole thing was beautiful, aesthetically, viscerally and emotionally, as is your carving John, I love it.

Dave

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Response to Dave :)

You were the other side of matters, weren't you ? :rolleyes: :D
HWMBLT was chuffed to bits with his sons too :D

Actually there's a whole psychological issue over menfolks being there while their women are giving birth. It seems that a fair proportion of men are so traumatised at seeing the ladies in such a visceral way, that it totally kills any future libido......a bit like Elvis, apparantly.

cheers,
M

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Childbirth is ghastly and should only ever be done by men.

(What do you mean? men are too sensible to even contemplate trying it??)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE