The Victorian Kitchen Garden

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
It's hard to believe that I last watched this way back in 1987 :eek:

The Victorian Kitchen Garden was a thirteen part series from the BBC which recreated a kitchen garden of the Victorian era, following head gardener Harry Dodson as he worked his way through the twelve months of the year.

The series is now available in a boxed set which combines it with 'The Victorian Kitchen' and 'The Victorian Flower Garden'.

Amazon link here

Anyone who has enjoyed 'Tales from the green valley' and 'Victorian Farm' will probably enjoy these.

:D

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
My wife got this for me for Christmas and it was wonderful to see the series again, having watched it the first time round. The BBC organised tours of the garden back then and we went along and had a tour of the garden by Harry Dodson. Somewhere in a cupboard there will be a photo of me with him. A truly knowledgeable man.

Geoff

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I agree a great series! - I used to work with Peter Thoday and he was as nice off screen as on!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just bumping this thread to thank Sandbender. I will shortly be publishing a thread showing my efforts to construct a hot frame. I had never heard of such a thing until I bought the DVD of the Victorian Kitchen Garden. It is, in effect, a small, self heating greenhouse. I would never have spent a day with chop saws, table saws and chisels without this inspiration - so thanks to all three of the guys at the top o this thread - you inspired me to watch the programme, which has inspired me to try to recreate what I have seen :)

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
The Victorian Kitchen Garden was a thirteen part series from the BBC which recreated a kitchen garden of the Victorian era, following head gardener Harry Dodson as he worked his way through the twelve months of the year.

The series is now available in a boxed set which combines it with 'The Victorian Kitchen' and 'The Victorian Flower Garden'.

for anyone interested Harry Dodson also wrote a good book called ''Harry Dodson's Practical Kitchen Garden, A Personal Guide to Growing Fruit & Vegetables'' i enjoyed the tv series too :)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Looking forward to the hot frame pictures, I may dig the DVDs out and watch them again now that the nights are a little longer.

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE