The ultimate waterproofing solution?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
The really freaky thing is that this technology comes from replicating water lillies!!! Nasa developed something REALLY similar for use in space suits to stop dust sticking to them and causing degradation

It amazes me the things we can still glean from mother nature

Dave

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
I think the person that holds the patent for this will become a very rich man or company .

i wonder how breathable it will be on clothing ?

Craig.......

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I think the person that holds the patent for this will become a very rich man or company .

i wonder how breathable it will be online clothing ?

Craig.......
Even if it breathed , I can't see it working as it wouldn't allow sweat to pass through ?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
We had a rep come into our local camping shop yesterday, purporting something called "Iron-cladding" for top end products that sounded very similar to this process.
His demonstration was to take a paper tissue that had been treated and pour water onto it, roll it around a bit, pour it down the sink without getting wet. It was a good demonstration, but I managed to stump the guy by asking "How does it affect the materials fire resistance?" I wish I had read the earlier reply about the environmental impact, that would be good to get an answer to as well.
It was described as a thin coating over each fibre, so I reckon breath-ability will not be changed, and does not wear off like other "spray-on" treatments. It is an expensive process and will drive up the price of treated products, but I think it will only be of use to the real techno-kit junckies!

ATB

Ogri the trog

No information on how its to be applied ie is it available as a spray of the shelf or do you have to send stuff to a factory to apply it

might be usfull on carbon steel blades handles and leather

any body remember TX10 with the guy in the sleeping bag floating on a lake

ATB

Duncan

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
No information on how its to be applied ie is it available as a spray of the shelf or do you have to send stuff to a factory to apply it

might be usfull on carbon steel blades handles and leather

any body remember TX10 with the guy in the sleeping bag floating on a lake

ATB

Duncan

They're selling it as a spray.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Magnum boots use a product called "Ion Mask" that is similar - it works and is breathable.
There have been questions about the health issues raised by breathing this stuff as the product degrades and if you are using a spray to treat items this could be quite serious.
I seem to recall someone saying the result of inhalation being like Asbestosis.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE