The ultimate Swiss Volcano Stove mod (updated and picture heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks both.

Maybe I've got a dodgy burner. I'll have another tinker tomorrow.

I saw some chaffing gel in my local hardware store today. So I might try some of that. I guess you can just squirt some directly onto the bottom of the stove and light it?

I'd find something to put it into....even the tinfoil case from sommat like a mince pie would do :)

cheers,
M

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
?

you mean you don't think the setup I use successfully as a regular brew kit works?

No, I didn't say that, I said I'm keeping an open mind on the issue until there's more information.

However I have to wonder if there's a risk of overheating the fuel as apparently happened with a similar setup using a Trangia burner.

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
No, I didn't say that, I said I'm keeping an open mind on the issue until there's more information.

However I have to wonder if there's a risk of overheating the fuel as apparently happened with a similar setup using a Tatonka burner.

I reckon I've probably made about 30 brews with it at least

The_Taffinch

Mar 31, 2014
Hungerford, Berkshire
The Trangia burner and the Tatonka burner are very different animals. The Trangia is brass, a good heat conductor, while the Tatonka burner is stainless steel, a relatively poor conductor.

If you look at the Trangia 25 and 27 setups you'll see that there's a lot of air flow around the burner. Any setup without that air flow is more likely to overheat the fuel in the Trangia burner and I'm not sure it will be safe.

This makes sense and supports my guess as to what was happening on this occasion. That said, other contributors have said they have used the Trangia without incident. I guess the advice would be 'use with caution'.

I'm going to try raising the burner of the bottom of the stove to reduce heat conduction between the two elements.

Don't worry, I'll have more fire and blast protection in place than a WWII explosives factory.:)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.

However I have to wonder if there's a risk of overheating the fuel as apparently happened with a similar setup using a Trangia burner.

I reckon I've probably made about 30 brews with it at least

Sorry, I wrote Tatonka instead of Trangia above. Corrected now.

If you've used that setup 30-odd times it's looking reliable. Do you always use the burner fairly full of fuel? The_Taffinch mentioned that he didn't put much fuel in to begin with and I'd guess that will allow the fuel to heat up more quickly.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE