The two headed beast of Hampshire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
British Red said:
Simon,

Fantastic info and beautiful photos too - I'd love to see a few more if you ever have an idle five minutes! I have a vision of you and Jon carefully identifying species whilst I stumble through the woods pointing and going "oooh pwetty" :D . Really though - more photos please ;)

Red
Happy to oblige. Probably tomorrow as I have some work to finish.

Well, most of it is stumbling around and trying to take reasonable photos, then identing the plants back home. And if it was a trip here, the stumbling would be caused by the wine drunk with lunch :)

It's just great to share the wonder of the natural world....

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Lovely photo's and good info Simon, I use UK Moths quite a lot as I run a moth trap. Those black veined whites are beautiful, would love to see them............

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Haven't posted many pictures on this thread recently due to taking care of BB etc.

Anyway, went for a wander through the woods today and thought "its about time I posted a few more piccs" - so here are a few with an autumn feel for anyone who didn't get out this weekend – a good few should suit any fellow fungal fanciers :D

click to enlarge if you like the look of any

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Great out today, wasn't it Red....Top one looks like old mans beard, but I have not seen it before so can't be sure...The next two look like guelder rose....Haven't a clue on the fungi, wish I did.....

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Top one is wild clematis seed head (think thats called old mans beard but is seems to vary - either way we are infested with the stuff - the bark makes cracking tinder mind you)

Second one is berries on a wild honeysuckle

Thirs is a fruiting Whitebeam tree

As for the fungi..don't know - all in a 200 yard circle bar the top one though

Maybe Simon will help us out? I have better piccs of gills, stem etc. The ones that look like an oyser mushroom forming are really big - 8" high and the same in diameter when fully open

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
British Red said:
Top one is wild clematis seed head (think thats called old mans beard but is seems to vary - either way we are infested with the stuff - the bark makes cracking tinder mind you)

Second one is berries on a wild honeysuckle

Thirs is a fruiting Whitebeam tree

As for the fungi..don't know - all in a 200 yard circle bar the top one though

Maybe Simon will help us out? I have better piccs of gills, stem etc. The ones that look like an oyser mushroom forming are really big - 8" high and the same in diameter when fully open

Red
Oops, lots of guelder rose round here at the mo, and I assumed, and I should know better than to assume. I thought on the 3rd it was growing through a hornbeam.....Lol....

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Natural mistake - I have a photo showing that tree absolutely massed with fruit for 30' in height - never seen anything like it. Weirdly, theres a spindle tree growing in front of it. Now where the branches interleave I have a photo of spindle tree seed pods growing amongs whitebeam fruit. That'll make a good question for a quiz sometime :D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well, had another stroll through the woods today - aren't they fantastic when the sun is low in the sky - the light seems to really glow

Thought these ash keys looked rather strange against the blue sky now that all the leaves have fallen

This birch polypore was a beauty - left it alone though as I have no use for it right now

I've always loved the delicacy of the birch - but its most beautiful as the leaves turn

Spotted lots of femal holly with the berries on - I'm coming back when BB makes the holly wreaths this year

The birds are getting to the haws now they are so soft and ripe

I think this as about as autumnal as it gets - those fleeces are really coming on now!

These guys were having a blast - laughing and galloping along - lovely to see

Spotted a great patch of mullein - I'll be back next summer!

Still lots of great fungi round about

Field mables holding seed just like the ash did

And finally, a cracking sunset to round it off

Days like these have to be grabbed at this time of year I think....I also got loads of acorns and made coffee if anyone wants to see the piccs?

Red

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
Great photo's Red, would be interested to see your coffee photo's, i made some the other week for the first time, not sure how what its like as i've got nothing to compare it to. Tasted more malty nutty horlicks type drink as opposed to a coffee type of taste. Would be interested to see your photo's

Billycan

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
For piccys posted on 29/10/06 from the top of the post going downward:-

The frilly white toadstool; Helvella crispa definative ID. edible if boiled for ten mins.if eaten raw in large quanties my leave you praying to shakleton for a fortnight while your kidneys fail. taste like morels and are good eating

Brown/redish up turned fungi: Paxillus rubincundulus probable ID. Deadly poisonious eaten in poland.

Dont know

Creamy coloured brown center; Helboloma thingy Could be wrong with ID cant tell without further info

Next two piccys all Lepiota. One of them seems to be slightly pinky so I would guess at Lepiota rhacodes shaggy parasol which is an eat at own risk mushroom.

Tawny coloured funnel cap; Clitocybe gilva Could easly be wrong as there are several simerlar like it.

Dont know the last two. the last one looks a bit like some cortinarias but the shape is a bit wierd. Ask stovie he knows his stuff.

The more resent piccy of the grey fungi hiding in dark is Clitocybe nebularis cloud cap. Probable ID. Eat after proper ID at own risk and without alcohol. Taste very good but can make some people sick Esspecially after 15 pint of beer!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE