The SURVIVAL HANDBOOK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
steve a said:
Capitalism from the Bear :yikes: , western politics and business ethics finally got yer mate :wink:
Have a good one

Ha ha my plan is revealed!!

Today all the survival handbooks - tomorrow the world!!

tomtom said:
0091878861.jpg
63-1.jpg
0978031209359_60X60.gif

are the three books pictured above all the same book? ive been trying to work this out for ages!

Don't forget Larry Dean Olsen survival book is in its 6th edtion and each edition had a different cover :wink:

Also, if you are into the "Flashman" series . There is a cover for the british editions and a different cover for the american editions

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I have LDO's 1st and 6th edition. There's quite a bit of difference between the two books. If we think of bushcraft as being a practice of traditional skills, then LDO's book comes closer than any mentioned so far. And for in-depth coverage of traditional skills, it's hard to beat John and Geri McPherson's books and videos and Wescott's Primitive Technology series.

jakunen

Native
Hoodoo said:
I have LDO's 1st and 6th edition. There's quite a bit of difference between the two books. If we think of bushcraft as being a practice of traditional skills, then LDO's book comes closer than any mentioned so far. And for in-depth coverage of traditional skills, it's hard to beat John and Geri McPherson's books and videos and Wescott's Primitive Technology series.
Any ISBNs Hoodoo? Save us trawling through 40,000 google results...

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Do any of those sell for £240 though?

Do you think if I put the Survival handbook up for sale in members classifieds I'd sell it! :rolmao: :wink:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
No problemo!

Outdoor Survival Skills - Larry Dean Olsen ISBN 1-55652-323-8

Primitive Wilderness Living and Survival Skills - John and Geri McPherson ISBN 0-89745-997-0

Primitive Technology, A Book of Earth Skills ed. David Wescott ISBN 0-87905-911-7 and Vol. II: ISBN 1-58685-098-9

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Gary said:
Do any of those sell for £240 though?

Do you think if I put the Survival handbook up for sale in members classifieds I'd sell it! :rolmao: :wink:

I guess it's the law of supply and demand. I looked for a couple years and could not find a copy. I guess sargey felt sorry for me and sent me one. I agree with most people that it's Mear's best although I still enjoy the rest of his books. He writes with a lot of enthusiasm.

There's no way I would pay £240 for a copy though. :yikes: It's too bad the publisher won't do another printing. Maybe we should take up a petition and send it to the publisher for a little motivation. :naughty: Of course Gary, that means the value of your copy would fall... :lol:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Ill sign your petition Hoodoo - I am giving one as a gift and keeping the third as a ........ spare!

RJP

Jan 22, 2004
Kent
Hi Everybody,
Just returned to the shelter! I joined up earlier this year but worked dragged me away. Have readdressed this by changing jobs.

Anyway, there is another to add to your list of Mears books. I picked up a copy of 'The Survival Handbook' (the first book) on Ebay last week. This is a reprint from 1994 by the 'Promotional Reprint Company'.

I think this must be one of those book club things.

Good to be back, things have really taken off,

Rob.
:pack:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
BIG-TARGET said:
Don't forget Larry Dean Olsen survival book is in its 6th edtion and each edition had a different cover :wink:

Also, if you are into the "Flashman" series . There is a cover for the british editions and a different cover for the american editions

is that a yes?

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
:eek:): I've got the three Ray Mears books (paid "big" bucks for the Survival handbook,, but not £240 :yikes:) - two of them signed.
I also got Mors Kohanski's Northern Bushcraft, two books by Lars Fält :nana: :eek:): (and photostats of a third :roll: + I'm going to buy a "new" one from his co author Stefan Källman next week :eek:): ). I also got the Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen, Primitive Wilderness Living and Survival Skills by John and Geri McPherson + several other books on bushcraft / survival.

I haven't bothered buying the Primitive Technology and Earth Skills books by David Wescott, as they essentially only are reprints of old articles (although some of them are edited slightly for the book edition) from the Bulletin of Primitive Technology printed by the Society of Primitive Technology, which I became a member of in 1995 or 1996.

Me mates tell me that I have a personal sub-branch of the local public library, although I never lend anything out :nono:
Last time I counted there were more than 1100 books :shock:

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I got a copy of the Raymond Mears book for £5.00 from bargain books.
Went back a week later and got my dad one and they had hundreds left.
This was before i knew who Ray Mears was but back then they could hardly give them away.
I really liked the book ,it was the first time i heard the term bushcraft and it just made so much more sense to describe this sort of activity as "bushcraft" than "survival".
It was great to see photographs instead of the Lofty Wiseman Survival Handbook drawings.
I recently got the Mors Kochanski Bushcraft book but while the text is good it's let down by the line drawings instead of photographs.

rb

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Bout 3 years ago ,as soon as i saw what they went for on evil bay i went back and checked but they where all gone.
They even checked at head office but no luck.
It's a great book but i can' believe what they sell for.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE