The real Heros of Telemark (by Mr Mears)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I know what you mean, it's a bit like the bushcraft God and the small holders Prince :mrgreen: I do like Hugh though, very entertaining and I bet he's brilliant at foraging.

Getting off the subject now though!

For me the 2nd of the 3 hero’s of Telemark was the best one. Over all though it was a very good series and I wish I had the opportunity to go to the talks as well. Oh well next time!

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Tony said:
For me the 2nd of the 3 hero’s of Telemark was the best one.

Absolutely. I thought that the three part format was just a little too long given the focus of the documentary. Either three slightly shorter episodes or two slightly longer ones would have been perfect, but as it was I was left thinking that twenty minutes or so was a bit padded. Still good stuff, mind, but the pacing was uneven. Overall I rate the show pretty highly, and it was rather poignant that one of the members of Grouse died so soon after filming. So many real heroes slipping away before we learn about them.

Does anyone know if the DVD release is identical to the telly version? I read somewhere (on this forum, I think) that Series 3 of "Extreme Survival" was edited for DVD, and indeed I had the opportunity to check that last night when BBC2 showed the "Roger's Rangers" episode again. It looks to me as though the DVD is edited for overseas markets

gurushaun

Forager
Sep 12, 2003
Modbury, Devon/Cannock Staffs
I agree with BJB, that there are signs of an Overseas slant being put on some of the shows, but the Rodgers Rangers show was still my favorite as it contains so much to do with boreal forests, closest to the stuff we find in the UK. Worth watching for the firelighting info alone.

Cheers

Shaun

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
gurushaun said:
I agree with BJB, that there are signs of an Overseas slant being put on some of the shows, but the Rodgers Rangers show was still my favorite as it contains so much to do with boreal forests, closest to the stuff we find in the UK. Worth watching for the firelighting info alone.

Cheers

Shaun

I like the one he did in Belarus (is that spelt right?) for the same reasons.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Actually I wasn't suggesting an overall foreign slant to the shows - I'm perfectly happy learning about the wider world of bushcraft - so much as the way the DVD episodes are shorter and have a brief walk-on by Ray introducing himself, which I don't recall from the ones on the Beeb.

I do especially enjoy the episodes in similar climates to ours, though, and I suppose that it's partly familiarity and partly the practical application of the skills he shows. The "Rangers" programme is one I particularly like because I lived and worked in New England over many years, very much out in the woods, so watching it is almost like being home (although it's not my home at all). I'd love to see Ray do an expanded version of his short slots on "Tracks" (or was it "Country Tracks"? Something like that) exploring the UK countryside. Indeed, impressive as his skills are in any environment I think I have most enjoyed the glimpses of him in Britain, dealing with the small things we overlook on our own doorstep. It's something I like about this site, too.

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
I couldn't agree with you more BJB. I recorded many of Rays' appearances on 'Tracks' and 'Country Tracks' when they were first aired in the mid-90's and I still think some of them are his best! I rang Woodlore a few months back to enquire if they were ever going to get those snippets out on video / DVD but they couldn't promise anything in the near future - probably hassles with ownership or similar.

In fact I'd be interested in anyone else out there recorded these as there are several I never saw and would like to do so.

Bob :-D

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Guys - I have only ever seen one 10 minute episode and I would love to see the rest of Rays early stuff :-D We should have a tracks meet up and watch them all :biggthump

Dave Farrant

Forager
Apr 16, 2003
Lancashire
I also was a little dissapointed when Mr Mears was not mucking in with the lads trying to survive in the same way.
But then just as I was saying to my fellow TV watchers,

"Wouldn't it be good if Ray was butchering that reindeer instead of some highly trained bush butcher"

Lo an behold who should emerge from the said carcass triumphant, liver in one hand, heart in the other than RM hmself.
My estimation of the bloke went up no end. :notworthy
I believe you shouldn't eat it if you couldn't kill it.

more of the same please, with ketchup on.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
you'll have to look it up in one of those english/american slang dictionaries :roll: :lol:

oi! and no using that "W" word over this side of the pond either!

cheers, and.

1987_uk

What days is ray mears on tv in the uk ??? I though his series has ended ?

wayne

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Bob said:
In fact I'd be interested in anyone else out there recorded these as there are several I never saw and would like to do so.

Bob :-D

Bob,

I only have one tracks snippet still on tape (and regret not saving more) because I thought it was too good to get rid of.
It's the flint knapping one. Do you have it already?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE