The real Heros of Telemark (by Mr Mears)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I'm gutted to learn that Kirk Douglas wasn't really there! :lol: :lol: :lol:

As usual with rays TV stuff I thoroughly enjoyed it. Good blend of history, survival and a bit of bushcraft.

Off to see him doing a lecture on Telemark in a couple of weeks a King Lynn.

Dave

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
All credit to the man, he can put together a fine show when he's enthusiastic about the subject. Here, of course, he's helped by the remarkable surviving members of Grouse and the gripping nature of the story. I'm happy to see that he can do other than a straight survival programme, actually, as I expect it means we'll see him on our screens long after the current TV infatuation with survival has faded.

Mind you, am I the only one who raised an eyebrow when he left the volunteers to their tents and trotted off to join the crew in the heated hut?

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
bigjackbrass said:
Mind you, am I the only one who raised an eyebrow when he left the volunteers to their tents and trotted off to join the crew in the heated hut?

Nope, my good lady said "you'd have thought he would go with them - looks like he would cope with the lack of calories better than the others..." :lol: :lol:

I was impressed that he did the static line, or rather impressed that he actually managed some commentary on the way down. I did one a few years ago and my language would certainly not have passed the TV censors. :-D

Enjoyed the program immensly. I think next Sunday's episode will be a good one - survival in the mountains.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i was gutted to have missed it. got tickets for his talk in cheltenham next month. i think he's doing/has done a book on the same subject.

cheers, and.

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
I've got a ticket the the Reading HofT talk in October. I think there's a book signing in Basingstoke too.
What with my Hoochie and Woodlore knife that bloke's made a mint from me this year.

As someone who is similar in shape to Mr Mears I know I could never survive on 2,500kcal per day so I'm not surprised he didn't join in :-D

I really enjoyed the programme, I'll look out for the next one. It's good to see that someone manaed to sell the idea of the programme to the production company as well as the channel without it becoming something tacky.

As for the members of Grouse .... talk about testicular fortitude!

Andy, is Mr Mears talking at the Town Hall in Cheltenham? When is the talk, where do I get tickets? I'm in Gloucester so it's not far to travel ..... and yes, we need to meet up for a pint sometime!

Roger

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Well impressed. Also amused by the mini "rant" from the Norwegian chap about children having no idea where their food came from. Good for him ! (and for demo'ing what to do when you fall through the ice).

S

sez

I like my Sundays again! SAS and Ray Mears.

Still got to watch it all though (putting daughter to bed).

Re: the kids thing, I have frequently been shocked at the ignorance of kids, in several departments, including food. I wonder if it's got anything to do with prepackaged, 'formed' food? After all, it doesn't look like anything real, does it? (How can companies sell steak made of formed cuts of meat?) they're in rectangles, or letters etc.

Sez

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
I'd almost forgotten about the SAS programme. Despite having the greatest admiration and respect for the SAS I do silently despair at the continuing flood of SAS this, that and the other (the other, in particular, bothers me...). I only saw the latter part, but Ray Mears' programme seemed all the better to me because it wasn't a gun-toting testosterone fest like the SAS show, especially remarkable considering it's about a wartime operation. Maybe I just see too may people who like to play at being soldiers by buying BB guns and DPM clothes without a thought to what soldiering is really about, and what a serious business it is. "Telemark" put over that side of the equation with admirable force and clarity.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
A bizzarre twist to all this from my personal perspective is that I watched the movie "Heroes of Telemark" on TV as a youth with my best mate, and I remember saying to him "I want one of those knives like he (Kirk Douglas) has got" That knife was a puukko of some description. Now as a result of Ray Mears tv appearances getting me interested in bushcraft, I actually own a couple of them!

I know - I'll get me coat! :oops:

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
all the sas merchandising gets on my wick too. i can sort of realate to the whole military trip. but when i start flicking through things like the sas mountain survival/sas desert survival/sas jungle survival only to find that they're all basically the same book with different photos! :twisted: i can't help but feeling that barry davies BEM is laughing all the way to the bank...

disengage rant mode.

cheers, and.

Matt

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2003
Did anyone happen to see the article in the Radio Times entitled 'Your life in their hands' - a comparison between Eddie Stone and good old Ray. It made quite an amusing read.
I'll be at the Reading talk too Qweeg - look out for the tall guy wearing a bushshirt :lol:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I went to see Ray Mears this week [After twisting a mates arm to come along, with the promise of beer afterwards] He was giving a talk at the
Ilkley Literary festival, [North Yorkshire] at the Craiglands Hotel. There were about 150 people present, mainly families and a couple of widescreen televisions on either side of the podium, showed pictures from the series. Ray came on and talked for about fifty minutes, [during which time my bladder was ready to explode from the three pints consumed in the bar prior to the show]
He signed books before the talk and afterward. The talk itself covered most of the information already discussed in the T.V documentary, but there were some facts, that he must have left out of the series because of their gruesome nature. He took questions afterwards, but refused to tell what his next project would be, only that there was one and it was secret. All in all, definetly worth the fiver entrance fee!
[I kept looking at his belt but he must have left his knife upstairs]
Hugh Fearnly Whittingstall is on at the same venue next week..........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE