The Mother in Law's plane...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The other day my 69 year old mother in law rang and asked my advice. She had changed the hall carpet and needed to plane down some doors.

How impressive is that? A lady pushing 70 who planes and hangs her own doors?

Some screw heads were damaged on her doors, so I talked her through the procedure for removing damaged screws. She popped over to borrow a drill and brought her plane with her. She handed it to me saying she used to get her uncle to sharpen it....

21309785421_bf8cd1a15f_z.jpg

As impressed as I am with people who are self reliant, I did have a bit if a sad sigh at a lovely rosewood handled Stanley Bailey no 3 looking so tired. I removed the plane iron (which as well as being blunt as a butter knife had clearly been sharpened off true.

I told her it would take more than a few minutes to sharpen that properly, so I loaned her a Stanley No. 4 I keep for such occasions and held onto her No. 3 for a while

20680450903_3520e9671b_z.jpg

Given this was a family member and the plane meant something to her I decided to do a little more than sharpen it.

I wont bore you with the "process" pictures as I have shown them on here before (they are on the blog if you really want to see them).

This is how the plane looks now

21309593481_7ec33348ce_c.jpg

I hope she is pleased.

I must say I'll be sorry to see the back of the number 3 as I dont have one in that size and its a lovely tool - small but perfectly formed.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Nicely done red. Breathed life back into a well made tool that should last twice as long again as it already has

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ahhh Steve, No.4s I have aplenty - including my own Mums :) You have been more than generous on the plane front already...indeed that one is going to get serious attention once the nights draw in!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Good to see the breath of life put in to old stuff and especially for such a mature women to use!

British Red, I think I have a Stanley No.3 in my box of old tools.. If it is a No.3, would you like me to let you know? maybe work something out? :)

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Very nice! Looks superb. That plane's got some character, not like the soul-less plastic handled ones they sell nowadays.
nice one!!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi Samon, I'd love a really old no 3 but I probably shouldn't! I have a gorgeous no. 6 that needs some love next, but thank you so much!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
You've done a lovely job on that. Puts me in mind of my Uncle Talbot.
As a kid we'd go and visit him, a retired cabinet maker his rambling old toll house smelled wonderfully of pipe smoke and furniture polish. Old grandfather clock deeply ticking away in the hall (it stopped and wouldn't start again when he died). Was excited to hear on one visit that he'd bought a telly. We didn't have on and I was excited to watch it. But on getting to his house it was nowhere to be seen. Between ordering it and it being delivered he'd built a beautiful cabinet to hide it as he didn't want to spoil the look of his living room.
His workshop was always neat and the rows of gleaming well cared for tools, some I couldn't figure what they were for.
Nice to see what you've done to the plane, a real top job.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Nice clean up, besides a No3 is a bit small to be planing doors anyway so the No4 is better.

Personally I use a 5 1/2 wider and longer jackplane to finish doors off but I made decent money for a while using a 4 as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE