The importance of Candle Watch!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
big_swede said:
A snow filled corridor, and a snow filled cold hat. I've had nicer mornings. :D

Fascinating thread. Really useful insights Greg and Big Swede.

I have only limited experience of snow holes: one night and that was many years ago. At the risk of sticking my neck out, I'd have thought it shouldn't be beyond the wit of man to devise a snow hole that balanced the needs of adequate ventilation versus keeping out the cold. Surely, keeping a candle burning just exacerbates oxygen depletion and could (potentially) generate CO? Wearing my ex-mining/metallurgical industries hat, I'd be far more concerned about CO poisoning from incomplete combustion in cooking stoves than lack of oxygen (though both, of course, can kill you).

Burnt Ash

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
John Dixon said:
I have tunneled when i am mountaneering, and the the only time i have seen the roof drop to that degree is when the snow layers are unstable. ie. there is a weaker layer alowing the top layers to slip down. Avalanche prone.... this can close your vent hole at the top and dump a load of snow on the door way.... could this of happened??

Possibly John, but I couldn't be sure.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE