The 'I hate Trangia cookers' thread, a thread for Trangia haters.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I tried to like Trangias, I really did. Tired of the poor performance of gas stoves at low temps and tired of lugging a multifuel stove around, I weakened and bought a Trangia. After my first failed attempt to boil enough water for a brew I sold the stove. It was no lighter than than the multifuel and no better than a frozen gas stove, it possessed the worst properties of the other stoves. I've now gone back to a Primus Spider for 3-season use and MSR stove for winter use.

Other things to hate about the stove include

Size
Cost
Invisible flame
lighting difficulties
fuel cost
sanctimonious Trangia fanboys

Last edited:

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
One word... Evernew.

Size- Tiny (well, compared to a trangia)
Cost- Ermmm, best not mention that.
Invisible flame- Oh, you'll know its lit!
lighting difficulties- Ferro rod, 1st time, every time.
fuel cost- Thanks work!

I'll bring it to Dave's and 'convert' you :notworthy

Last edited:

forestwalker

Here they are cheaper than the modern multifuel stoves. The fuel is also cheaper (here) than the alternatives. They are rugged, dependable. There is not much that can go wrong with them. Yes they are slow, but they are quiet.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
They work in high winds
They do boil (still don't know what you did wrong)
100% reliable
Can fit multifuel burners for enhanced winter performance.
Simmer well
Frugal on fuel
Two saucepans and kettle +windshield in a compact pack
Whats not to like

Lidl Trangia clone and budget multifuel
DSCF2863.jpg

Used by thousands of Scandanavians in all weather and temperatures suggests they work rather well :)

RikCoin2.jpg

Richard, Trangia fan.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have sung the praise of Trangia for many years of expeditioning, Scouting and personal use, mainly praising them as being "idiot proof" and working well in all conditions ......

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've never owned a Trangia but I have plenty of meths stoves, I can't really see the attraction myself. There are much more efficient, lighter weight and smaller alternatives.

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
I never used to like Trangias but over the last few years I've mellowed to them and now probably use them more than any other. Gas is easiest to use and, mostly, quicker. Multi-fuels are finnicky but powerful and make a good reassuring sound. "Debris burners" have the benefit of free fuel but can take while to get to boil and are messy. Trangias though have everything you need: pans, burner and windshield. Yes, they're not the fastest, but if I'm in a rush I'll use the Jetboil or the Crux gas burners (the jetboil lives in my webbing, the Crux in my leader's/walking pack). Once you're at camp and setting stuff up you can set the Trangia off and you don't need it to boil immediately. Lighting was the thing that always got me: lighters are no good, matches sometimes work but you end up lobbing them in the burner. Then I tried firesteels and it's too easy.

I've also found the Clickstand to be quite good and I've been known to use a Tatonka burner with the Honey stove. We did a time trial with a Trangia, Trangia clone and a Swedish Army Trangia a few weeks ago and the time differences weren't too great.

Nothing wrong with Trangias in my view.

Claudiasboris

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
is that then a Trangia or a multifuel stove in a Trangia windshield??

To me a Trangia in the purest sense of the word is a meths burner in a windshield with cooking pots...

As said in the post John, the image is a Lidl Trangia clone, just to illustrate what you can do with this type of setup, clone or Trangia brand and works the same in either. Remember Trangia themselves sell gas and multifuel burners so pure enough.

Martyn, pretty frugal in its own right, @50 minute simmer on the one fill I'd think frugal enough.

Another clone for you using a different burner

DSCF3178.jpg

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
After cooking my dinners for around 2 years in all weathers and temperatures, I have a soft spot for the Trangia set.

Yeah its slow,a bit heavy, not much cop for melting snow(with alcohol), the burner is quite outdated, the frying pan is a token gesture and the meths does cost a lot. But...

Its one of the few cook systems that will work in a storm as well as good weather,
You can drop it down a mountain and it will still work,
As John says, Idiot proof.
Great for simmering
Quiet
Clean and easy to transport
The best shaped pans there are.

I don't use it much now, I prefer a cat stove with foil and pegs to save weight and bulk but I still use the pans and gripper for most trips out.

My old Trangia has a new lease of life now with a multiful burner mod for melting snow, it should see a lot of use this winter.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Clearly not :rolleyes:
I meant no offence to anyone - just that it was suitable for the novices I had as expedition team members of little experience, Scouts, NACRO teams, etc etc ...some of whom had the co-ordination, mental acuity and learning ability of slugs....

forestwalker

I meant no offence to anyone - just that it was suitable for the novices I had as expedition team members of little experience, Scouts, NACRO teams, etc etc ...some of whom had the co-ordination, mental acuity and learning ability of slugs....

There is really only one bad mistake one can make with them is to refill while burning. I tell people to take the burner out with a bare hand before refilling, which eliminates that risk.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE